Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Springs and suspension

ch4rgedcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 Vs calais
Hey can someone please help me

I've got a 96 Calais I just brought off a mate and I have some spare 20s here. Now if I lower it what size king springs can I get? I have ssl's on my vl but I've heard of people having heaps of trouble with the vs. I want it quite low but not so I have to go pick my sump up off the road every time I drive. Can I go ultra lows without It scrubbing or having to tuck guards?

Any help would be muchly appreciated
Thanks

ch4rgedcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 Vs calais
Yea you gotta have those 20s and drop it on its guts or else you won't be accepted down here lol Its even cool down here to scrape over speed bumps but yea I think il pass on that. If I wanted to raise it I would of brought a 4x4

Thanks for the help anyway

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I like a car that sits low and handles good, but Ive seen cars end up what I would class as wrecked by lowering them so far that the car ends up being as rough as guts to ride in, which then loosens everthing on/in the car. A good example is mate of mines calais, it was a beautiful VS calais, not one noise could be heard from inside it when he first got it , absolutely beautiiful car to ride in, he lowered it heaps low etc, and now 12 months later, with the rough roads we have around here, its ended up being full of rattles and noises etc,and they come from all different areas of the car, especially around the dash area. What a shame and a waste of a once lovely car. Its also been knocked around underneath now too. It was mint under there when he first got it.

ch4rgedcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 Vs calais
Yea that's true I dont wanna do that lol Its perfect and has nothing wrong with it at all accept it's just to high thanks though il keep that in mind

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
I'm fitting low King springs with Ultima shocks & struts to match all round, these are the goods at 20mm lower than the current FE2. Complete front & rear Superpro suspension bush kit with new strut tops as well while I'm at it. I see too many fine Commodores with way too low & sometimes very uneven set ups & it just looks wrong. I can only imagine how rough the ride is let alone if encountering a rough patch of road or under load (passengers, luggage etc). I have FE2 which is a little high for my liking so with the height I don't want to go too low either as I want to avoid tyre scrubbing or scraping with dips or bumps in the road, plus hard cornering etc. I have stocks on at the moment but I am looking at getting VP Senator 17x8 wheels or similar style in the future - looks tuff. I'm not a fan of the jam jar 19" & 20" look, much later model Commodores & ricers seem to get away with it fine - but then again it comes down to personal preference & what you do with the car (show n go, everyday practical or a nice balance of the two).

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
i got in my VS Acclaim, SL King Springs front, and SSL Lovells rear [same as Kings] and yes, bit rough but handles well on my old 19's.. now to get tyres for my 20's and ill be all good...
ya dont wanna go too low, so go either FE2 / SL fronts, and SL rears [ if solid rear] or SSL rears [ if IRS]..
make sure ya get adjustable bushes for the rear if IRS, or you will destroy ur tyres in under 6 months...
ebay has 4 point kits for 100 the set so hunt around and its easy to fit them at home...