Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Springs for my ve

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ss Ve sportswagon z series
Hi guys . i currently have stock springs and shocks in my car . but i have my car on 22"s and thinking of the pedders sport ryder springs , i have about 4cm on clearance before i need to get the guards rolled which i really cant be botherd to pay for haha. IMAG0041.jpg

Im just curious to see what else is available i know the sports ryder will drop the car maybe 2.5-3.5cm but any help on kings springs or anything like that would be awesome

Its a wagon by the way just to be clear

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
it still confuses the hell out of me , people are saying to stay stock shocks and others are changing them . Should i just go into the shops and get a few quotes . I really dont have much clue with this stuff to be honest

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
it still confuses the hell out of me , people are saying to stay stock shocks and others are changing them . Should i just go into the shops and get a few quotes . I really dont have much clue with this stuff to be honest

fact; you dont have to change your shocks

However from my experience with VE berlina shocks, they are crap and I recommend getting a new spring a shock combo. Once the gas in the factory shock leaks out, they wont be able to control the spring causing your car to bounce alot!!! Pick a ride height, pick a brand of shock and go get quotes. That link I posted has all sorts of ride heights and bands of shocks so pick a height you like and a brand you think sounds good and go get quotes. There's no right or wrong combo just personal preference

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
A critically important point to note is that all VE models are not fitted with the same suspension. All VE Sportwagon suspension is not the same either, and riding on 22s will be hell if you don't get the suspension working with them.
Do your research before changing springs on your car, many horror stories and putting safety at risk.
Don't swap the SS Sportwagon front springs, consider replacing the shock to lower ride height instead, like a Bilstein B8 for example will lower it 15mm and work ideally with the series II SS sportwagon's 23% stiffer spring and larger front sway. You will need that visible inch front clearance for the suspension to work properly. Also measure ground clearance less your intended drop must be 100mm all around.
Changing springs / suspension on a Series II SS / SV6 or SSV wagon is very different to any VE sedan, or any of the Omega, Berlina, Calais or Calais V model Sportswagons.
Also rear springs must be rated Heavy Duty irrespective of ride height, and btw beefing up the rear sway (Series II is 4mm thinner than Series I Sportwagon) is disasterous.
Speak to forum sponsor GSL Rallysport (they are near Inala in Bris). They will confirm stock front SII SS FE2 spring / Billy combo and lower King HDs with KYB inserts at rear is one of the better setups to consider for less than a new set of tyres.

Last edited:

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
is there any difference between the series 2 and the z series? i have the z series . i can just get the springs done first the i can worry about the shocks after right ? . im trying to spend my holiday pay wisely between the car and the misses so gotta be careful not to spend to much

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
is there any difference between the series 2 and the z series?
The Z series is a sales designation that doesn't herald a series change in this context. Your car is a VE Series II SS with revised firmware, fuel cap and mylar trim and Z Sticker AFAIK. EDIT: Brembo fronts and FE3 on SSV.
i can just get the springs done first the i can worry about the shocks after right ?
Look almost everyone has done it, just sayin your car with wrong springs and shocks and wheels is verging on homicidal. There are two blokes here with your car who did straight sedan spring swap that with much smaller wheels and immediately regretted it... will just ride dangerously bad like out of control over bumps around corners and at speed. I personally wouldn't risk it for anything but showing slow around the neighbourhood.

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes get lowered HD rear springs, upgraded front and rear inserts, but do it all at the same time.
I realise money is tight so hold off to do all corners and full wheel alignment at same time.

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it possible to just get the rear of my wagon lowered, I really don't have to much of a problem with the height at the front. And would rather the car just sit not so high up in the back?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Absolutely, I carry a load so it balances out quite well with fE2, rides much better lowered
7e6a6e2y.jpg

but I'm toying with option of Eibach or King lowering springs, both progressive wound like original, however brings ride about an inch lower and not as affected by my light load. Apart from stance / handling the issue is headlight beam height changes due to rake.
Eibach are not classed HD but tuned stiffer (can't get in pairs need all corners), whereas Kings have specifically been developed for the wagon.
KYB dampers on rears is something to consider with the shorter stroke for around $400.