Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

squeak and movement from driver side wheel?

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
hey guys, ive noticed since about 6 months ago and it has gotten worse. when im driving and i turn the steering wheel and go over a speed hump or kerb or etc, the entire front drivers side wheel squeaks almost as if it wants to fall off the car.. and yesterday i noticed with my car parked, in P gear and handbrake all the way up, i could push the front wheel and the car would move forward and back. is this normal??? whats the most likely problem to fix the squeak as im scared the wheels will fall off

DeadlySphinx

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
Does it sound like brake squeal? If not, the squeak could indicate a stuffed wheel bearing.

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Does it sound like brake squeal? If not, the squeak could indicate a stuffed wheel bearing.

hey nah, the breaks are fine, i only had em chnaged about 1000km ago and they work fine... it sounds like the car just wants to jump off the wheels.. what would be the procedure in fixing a wheel bearing? as the steering suspension work of a car i know nothing at all about

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You sure its not the strut squeaking? Or something loose like a swaybar link etc.

DeadlySphinx

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
hey nah, the breaks are fine, i only had em chnaged about 1000km ago and they work fine... it sounds like the car just wants to jump off the wheels.. what would be the procedure in fixing a wheel bearing? as the steering suspension work of a car i know nothing at all about

I'm not to sure about changing wheel hubs on a VZ, I've only ever changed them on a BA Falcon. If they are similar all you have to do is remove the wheel, caliper, disc. Then undo the hub nut, knock the hub off (they can be stuck on sometimes), (I think grease it up, can't remember to be honest), then its just reverse procedure for fitting the new ones. The hub nuts etc will have to be tightened to a certain torque as well.

If I'm wrong about anything though ofcourse, I'm sure someone can explain with corrections and more detail then I.
I'm sure there will be a How-to somewhere on these forums though.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Wheel bearing comes as an assembly with the studs etc on it, held on with 3 bolts that go into the knuckle.

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
im thinking its a link, im gonna take it to a mechanic on saturday and see what they say and ill post it up