Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeak in the bay

AKKY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi all,
So I've finally picked up the base car for the project and have to say I'm pretty chuffed with what I got.
Full xforce exhaust and header-no idea about exact specs. Still debating weather to change them out for the pro extreme harrop?

Cam and a tune from Sam's performance. All and all I'm happy to have this in a base car, question is after a few day it seems to have developed a squeak which to my uneducated ear sounds like it's coming from a pully or a belt?

Having never owned a V8 in my life is this something that I need to address ASAP? Is this a common trait and something to just put up with?
Do belts not last or the pulleys not align from the constant jerk of the cam?

Thank you in advance.
I will try to get some decent photos of this thing soon.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
did you just get the cam done or did you buy it that way?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I've never had a belt problem due to a lumpier cam but I've heard it can happen.

It could also be that the belt may be starting to slip due to age, it could be bearing noise which means there could be a problem with the idler pulley or the pulley may be misaligned.

Does it only happen on start up or is it intermittent or constant when driving.

Is the car a VE or a VF and how old is it and do you have and idea when the cam was installed.

If the work is done by Sam's Performance they would look into it for you or take it to a shop closer to you and have them diagnose the problem.

AKKY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Tbh I'm not sure when the cam was done I've got a link of what it sounds like.
Mostly at idle, under load around 2000+ rpm it stop squeaking.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
you could pop the belt off or use a bit of belt dressing to see if it is the belt and if it is not the belt it might be the water pump or a pulley as when they start to die they make an intermittent squeaking sound.

the sound in that video would make me start with checking the water pump.

AKKY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks stooge appreciate that advice.

you could pop the belt off or use a bit of belt dressing to see if it is the belt and if it is not the belt it might be the water pump or a pulley as when they start to die they make an intermittent squeaking sound.

the sound in that video would make me start with checking the water pump.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Get a 1m length of garden hose and make sure nothing is living inside it o_O Put one end of the hose to your ear and carefully move the other end around the front of the engine while listening. You’ll find out rather quickly exactly where the noise is coming from ;) Then you can focus more on the ‘how to fix’ part of the equation :cool:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
That's pretty loud. Is the balancer wobbly ?

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
mine sounded similar even trying the screwdriver trick couldnt isolate it. had wobbly pulley so replaced that,no go.did waterpump and no go. turned out to be the pulleys.replace them with metal not plastic ones. Mace engineering have them.
good luck
cheers