Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

squeaking noise from the engine

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
Hi Everyone,
My vy acclaim has been nothing but problems lately:bang: .. i have started hearing a squeaking noise from somewhere in the engine. it becomes particularly loud if its rev'd over 2500 rpm :ranting: . its also quite audible when idling or when the car has been started after a while. What is wrong? I didnt use my car for a couple of months when I was overseas and have been back for about a month now... didnt seem to have this problem even after i came back. I just realized that its happening this afternoon :mad: . Does anyone know what it is? I dont want to take it to a mechanic unless its something major. Any help majorly appreciated.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
serpentine belt? I had a similar sort of problem and the just tightened the belt (adjusted the tension pulley) and its all fine.

I didnt notice it louder er or softer at different revs though, i could only hear it when i was idle and outside my car (in the driveway for example)

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
Thanks for the info mate. how do i tighten whatever belt it is!!! Can you give me some instructions on how to do the above ? its frustrating to crank up your car and hear **** coming out of it.

genetic_freak

Technical Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR berlina 304
being a vy v6 you cannot tighten the belt, the tensioner does that automatically. now from memory their is 2 main possibilities.
1. the power steering pump pulley is out of alignment (quite common) this causes the belt to squeak as it is rubbing sat an angle over the pullies.

2. you have a worn idler pulley. a great way of checking is to have a long screwdriver and you put it on the nut of the corresponding tensioner whilst the engine is running (making sure it is a stationary nut or else it could get messy :yeah: ) and then listening on the other end of the screwdriver. you will be able to hear which idler is blown cause it will sound like a dry bearing/ screeching noise.

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
power steering f'ed

yep.. took it to the mechanic i get the car serviced by and he said that the power steering pump is almost f'ed and that it was good that i got there in time. Its a pain in the arse:bang: . There goes another $450 beggin.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
did he tell you wht was actually wrong with it??? cos really the only thing that should be wrong with it is the front or real seal being only a few years old??? havent seen many other problems with them

hbdvysute

Utes the word
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s ute
hey mate, i had the same problem but only on start up when the engine was cold, i was told it was the water pump pulley, idler pullleys ended up being the starter motor.. so 3 new pulleys later and a new starter motor problem resolved

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
the culprit was actually the clamp which holds the power steering pump in place.. the problem has been repaired and has made my pocket lighter by about $170:ranting: . bloody stupid thing..:bang: