Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squealing brakes.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
I've changed that many brake pads in commodores its not funny, so i'm not clueless on this subject.

I recently put bendix heavy duty brake pads in the back of my car (same brake pads i've always used in the front, previously metal kings). They were fine for a few days and now they squeak like you wouldn't believe. Any idea why? or what i can do to stop it?

Its just plain embarrassing to drive it at the moment.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The squealing is caused by vibration of the pad against the caliper. Make sure all the dust is cleaned off, usually spray the brakes with a hose, all the anti rattle clips are in place and the slides are greased and moving freely. You can also use a product called Brake Stop its red and it's like silicone, you apply a thin smear to the back of the pad where it contacts the caliper and the piston, wait for it to go off and then assemble the brakes. Also make sure there is a tiny bit of grease on the edge of the pad where it slides on the caliper.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
did you put them in yourself? if you did, did you bed them in properly before driving the car "normally"?
thats usually what causes brakes to squeal.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
yeah i bedded them in, even though they say that you don't have to any more.

Yeah i greased the slides and everything is in the right spot.

I've never used the Brake stop product as i have never needed to in the past. but i'll give it ago.

the thing that gets me is that they didn't squeal for a week and then both sides start squeal as i came of the highway the other morning (just a regular stop, not hard) and have continued since.

say they were not bedded in right how can i fix that? sand paper, rough them up a bit and go again? or what?

Damn never thought i'ld be embarrassed driving a hsv

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You will need to go through the procedure again. The best way to bed in brakes is to get up to 80kmh and brake hard down to about 10kmh, do this 10 times, you will get a pretty bad brake smell but this is normal. After the 10th time drive around for about 10 minutes to cool the brakes. This process also burnishes the pads if you didnt machine or replace the rotors.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
yeah thank for all the info. I pulled them all apart last night, cleaned them all of with brake cleaner, used the brake stop, left the anti rattle plates of this time around (one was slightly out of shape), then re-bedded them in the way i have in the past, 60-10 12 times (i hadn't read these posts until now). And they didn't squeak on the way to work. So i'll give it a week and see how they go.

Hopefully this thread also helps out other people.

Chilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commy
DIG! how did you go??? mine squeak like hell at the moment but i've been too lazy to take a look lol. Just wondering if you fixed it by doing this.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I always use the pads the local holden dealer uses for out of warranty vehichles. You can somwhat garuntee you will get a non squeeling pad then, they dont want customers comin back about squeelin pads all the time. Generally the ones i get there are "acdelco's" and are a good non squeeling pad.

Statey777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series 2 statesman
the best anti squeal product is done by Wurth i use it all the time as i am a mechanic i even do away with the anti sqeal plates sometimes depending on what state they are in!!