Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS 2007 with 275000+ kms (What to look out for?)

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Seriously thinking about doing a swap deal with my SV6 to a SS. The guy sounds pretty keen, but the KMs are super high.
Since ive only really been learning about my POS Sv6 Alloytec havent really learnt anything about the SS common issues.

So whats your thoughts, my sv6 is around 170x, new chains tensioners etc all done.

Crumbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
275 is a lot. I'd rather save the difference and buy one.
My experience looking at swaps years ago was mostly people trying to swap off major issues. Repairs would up very quickly

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
I'd keep the SV6 if the chains are done, it should last a while but the SS will probably need a rebuild soon....I can't see it going much past 300k.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Depends how it's been driven and what type of driving. If it's been driven on highway trips and looked after it could be ok.
But a City car I'd walk away(run away)

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
agree with everyone above, there must be a reason why.. and I dont think its fuel economy...

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Depends how it's been driven and what type of driving. If it's been driven on highway trips and looked after it could be ok.
But a City car I'd walk away(run away)

Interesting, would that be because things wear out more on small city drivers? Sadly thats how I drive my sv6 daily back and to work lol

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Thanks everyone. 1 thing that crossed my mind, is something with this much KMs you would think alot of parts would have been replaced?

I will see how much service / part records he holds

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Interesting, would that be because things wear out more on small city drivers? Sadly thats how I drive my sv6 daily back and to work lol

More the fact that the car has done alot more cold drives.. I.E not allowing it to warm up properly,

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Exactly. A friend has a Mazda 3sp and it is mostly a country car used on a long daily commute.
It's done 585000 Ks and is still going though showing its age.
If it was a city car it would only do half those k's before running into trouble.
City driving =hot/cold cycles, more stop start = more wear and tear.
Those V8s are big motors and in top gear are barely ticking over hence I think a genuine country car would go for yonks. But what are the chances...