Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS 6speed clunky box

N

nickel

My VZ SS 6 speed is very hard to get into 1st & rev sometimes. The box feels heavy (its probably very strong) & clunky. I had a 2004 100 series Landcruiser turbo deisel before this & the box in that seemed lighter & easier to shift. Any of you guys out there experiencing the same thing?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
clutch should b modoratly heavy the box may whine a bit but should not b hard 2 engage gears check clutch, travel/grab

Barcode

lllllllllllllllll
Reaction score
Has it got the right fluid in it?
Noticed on mine it uses auto trans fluid not normal gear oil which could cause this problem as well
other thing to check would be the shifter itself-maybe to much play

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Had the same problem with mine. It is only just starting to loosen up and it's done about 18000ks now. Never force it as you will only wear out the syncros(Made from plastic-carbon fiber composite). Just let the clutch out again and let it all get spinning, then try again and it should go into gear. The ATF oil should make them easier to shift as there should be less fluid resistance. If it is tight when the gearbox is warm report it to the dealer and they should fix it.
burnz is on the money though as you should always FULLY depress the clutch when stationary as this will always make it hard to shift into a gear.
Cheers
Daza

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
nickel said:
My VZ SS 6 speed is very hard to get into 1st & rev sometimes. The box feels heavy (its probably very strong) & clunky. I had a 2004 100 series Landcruiser turbo deisel before this & the box in that seemed lighter & easier to shift. Any of you guys out there experiencing the same thing?

As others have said, check the fluid level is at the propper lever with the correct oil.

Reaper

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
same sort of issue man..I find the vz ss 6sp alot of effort to get into gears..3rd mostly it just feels messy and not smooth at all 50% of the time.

every few gear changes are beautiful, then the next gear change is rough!
I hav checked my fluid (70,000kms, does not look like it had been cracked before) and the level was correct with clean oil.

Who knows...I'm gonna try a short shifter and see wat happens. too much play in these big 6speeds

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Whoa, thread dig alert:whistling

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
Thread dig means 'old thread' i'm guessing? I only care to read about vz topics..PLus to be honest i don't go around reading posted dates. Plus, you bumped it also

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Thread dig means 'old thread' i'm guessing? I only care to read about vz topics..PLus to be honest i don't go around reading posted dates. Plus, you bumped it also

LOL!!
I'm not the one that bumped it 4 years!:rofl:

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
lol...well yeah 4 yrs is a fair while. i read CLUNKY BOX and thought "yep my pos gearbox does the same thing"