Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS 6speed clunky box

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
lol, she's right mate.
I don't have any issues with mine at all, is quite good. I have a rip shifter in mine and it feels awesome to drive.

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
so u changed to a rip shifter because ur stock shifter is crap or wat?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
so u changed to a rip shifter because ur stock shifter is crap or wat?

Yep, it was **** to drive before but with the shifter, so much better. Probably the best money i've spent on the car.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Could have spent it better on a Billet ;)

ls1commodoreute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
same sort of issue man..I find the vz ss 6sp alot of effort to get into gears..3rd mostly it just feels messy and not smooth at all 50% of the time.

every few gear changes are beautiful, then the next gear change is rough!
I hav checked my fluid (70,000kms, does not look like it had been cracked before) and the level was correct with clean oil.

Who knows...I'm gonna try a short shifter and see wat happens. too much play in these big 6speeds

I've had similar issues with my 6sp vz ss. Mostly on cold start, reverse and 1st hard to grab from new.
Try grabbing direct drive (4th) first then reverse/1st, worked on my beast.

Only permanent fix that worked for me was a complete oil change, yes Dex3 ATF fluid is correct, and a tube of Nulon Gearbox and differential treatment.
G70.jpg

Been smooth as ever since.

Have since fitted a B&M GTO short shifter, VERY, VERY NICE! :thumbsup:

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
I've had similar issues with my 6sp vz ss. Mostly on cold start, reverse and 1st hard to grab from new.
Try grabbing direct drive (4th) first then reverse/1st, worked on my beast.

Only permanent fix that worked for me was a complete oil change, yes Dex3 ATF fluid is correct, and a tube of Nulon Gearbox and differential treatment.
G70.jpg

Been smooth as ever since.

Have since fitted a B&M GTO short shifter, VERY, VERY NICE! :thumbsup:

That's interesting ay, that the fluids are full and clean but doing a change helped yours... I may have to do the same thing. Mine is better when cold..
Congrats on ur success lol!
Cheers.

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Tranny fluid amount

JCs rocks - one of the best forums around.

If an old thread is still up and valid perhaps it needs to be moved into an archive section (INSIDE vz how-to's).

I have something I bet all you blokes will lurve. I have a VZ 6pd with an L76 and the clutch that goes with that motor (slightly more heavy duty). As I learnt to drive a manual with my SS I thought it might be a good idea to change the tranny fluid. Nice car to learn on hey :)

So first I checked the specs in the car's user manual. No info about how much to put in.

So I googled it and it came up with the GTO forum in USA. Same tranny so it must be the same? Man I hope so. I need to check something:

Do you refill until the fluid comes out of the reverse switch hole? Can someone let me know how much fluid my tranny takes?

I didn't use ATF DEX 111 but a combo of other stuff (high qual tranny fluid and Nulon additive). Filled up to reverse switch. Now when I am stationary I can hear a hissing sound when the clutch is out. AND a slight loss of pwr. Faaaaark!

Last edited: