Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ss grill on omega

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
HI

I purchased an ss grill today to fit up to my omega bar. On first try to fit i noticed i needed to cut off 2 extra tabs which I thought would then allow me to fit it, WRONG lol it still looks like it needs shaving somewhere. Just wondering if anyone has step by step instructions on what to do as I dont want to botch up the grill. ( I must say it just sitting there makes it look soooooo much better than the omega grill. Amazing how something so simple can change the look of a car.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
I hope this is of some assistance but going off memory, and that goes back close to 2 years since I did, you need to trim the areas circled in blue, about 2mm approx. (as per my previous posts), it's fiddly and trial & error - as you've already discovered.
ss_grille_zpsf37262af.jpg

ve_omega-ss_grille_zps8d9c8524.jpg

hopefully someone else has a grille handy to take a pic of an put up (mines up in the attic, somewhere...)

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I hope this is of some assistance but going off memory, and that goes back close to 2 years since I did, you need to trim the areas circled in blue, about 2mm approx. (as per my previous posts), it's fiddly and trial & error - as you've already discovered.
ss_grille_zpsf37262af.jpg

ve_omega-ss_grille_zps8d9c8524.jpg

hopefully someone else has a grille handy to take a pic of an put up (mines up in the attic, somewhere...)

hmmm Im not sure if that will do it I have got rid of the clip below your blue circle on both sides. Im really really hopeless with measurements and can see me stuffing this up lol

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Can I ask did you use the locating holes in the omega bumper to slot the grill into or did you drill in your own further out? I just cant seethe original holes being used surely you must have to drill in new slots further out? If you could let me know that would be appreciated.

Thanks

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
Can I ask did you use the locating holes in the omega bumper to slot the grill into or did you drill in your own further out? I just cant seethe original holes being used surely you must have to drill in new slots further out? If you could let me know that would be appreciated.

Thanks

got my old grille from attic before work this morning, here's some pics, I hope they help

trim a 'triangle' at the top of the grille about 5mm x 30mm
SS_Grille_on_Omega_1_zpsf355aac2.jpg

SS_Grille_on_Omega_2_zps17758fa8.jpg

I don't remember drilling out or making the locating tabs/slots bigger, but I may have - here's a pic of my 2 centre locating tabs/slots, they sort of looks like I could have made them bigger with a Stanley knife (I did this close to 2 years ago, so I can remember...sorry)
SS_Grille_on_Omega_3_zpse75e459f.jpg

close up of corner of grille, to show what's been trimmed, and how tight the fit is
SS_Grille_on_Omega_4_zps426d0aca.jpg

SS_Grille_on_Omega_5_zpsd57ef38c.jpg

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Thanks Jr, champion just also wondering as mine looks different where the bolts go through the grill does that also mate up with the front bar as looking at your pictures it looks like the mounting holes are set back more towars the engine than mine. Im just really considering whether i mod mine the same as yours ( probably safest but I so think the grill sits back to far and is to vertical. The other option is to mod it hope for the best put it on a bit of an angle which will mean drilling new locating slots in the front bar. If it goes wrong it goes wrong real badly this way but I think the look would be much better

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
The top 2 phillips head screws/bolts and 2 plastic scrivets lined up perfect but I 100% agree with you on this making the grille to sit too far back and too vertical.
My 'fix' was to trim off all the bottom locating tabs, and pull the bottom of the grille forward about 15mm and put a small black Phillips head screw in each corner - good from afar but far from good :) (nb: these 2 holes are hidden by my current grille)
SS_Grille_on_Omega_6_zps0a359279.jpg

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I will mod mine like yours and see how it fits then might make further mods so it can stick out on an angle but to do this i may need to make up metal brackets so I can mount the grill back onto the car as the holes will no longer line up if i move the whole grill forward much better look though moved forward. Do you think it will be acheivable?

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon