Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS Idle Relearn Procedure

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Searched the forums, followed youtube videos, still can't find a solution for this. Engine idles at 2000rpm in park but comes back to normal around 800rpm when in Drive. Still seems to hang around that 1500rpm when trying to decelerate around town making it a pain to drive. This all happened after i cleaned the throttle body as it was filthy and i now know that this is a common thing to happen after cleaning it. Just can't find a certain answer..

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Note: Do NOT perform this procedure if any DTCs are set. It wont work.

Engine idling for 3 min.
The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and idle speed should start to decrease.
Ignition OFF for 60 s.
Start and idle the engine for 3 min.
Verify the engine is idling normally

If the engine idle is not correct
Operate the vehicle at speeds above 70 km/h with several decelerations and extended idles.

If any DTC's log or the engine light come on while driving you will need to clear them for the learn procedure to carry on.

Keep driving the vehicle at speeds above 70 km/h with several decelerations and extended idles.
Verify the engine is idling normally.

Give us an update when you've followed this procedure TO THE LETTER.
If this doesn't work you got other issues.

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Did you take out the IAC when you cleaned the TB? Didn't lose the o-ring out of it? Sounds like you have a vac leak.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Note: Do NOT perform this procedure if any DTCs are set. It wont work.

Engine idling for 3 min.
The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and idle speed should start to decrease.
Ignition OFF for 60 s.
Start and idle the engine for 3 min.
Verify the engine is idling normally

If the engine idle is not correct
Operate the vehicle at speeds above 70 km/h with several decelerations and extended idles.

If any DTC's log or the engine light come on while driving you will need to clear them for the learn procedure to carry on.

Keep driving the vehicle at speeds above 70 km/h with several decelerations and extended idles.
Verify the engine is idling normally.

Give us an update when you've followed this procedure TO THE LETTER.
If this doesn't work you got other issues.

I did the first part of this procedure today (saw on youtube). I have not done the drive above 70km/h bit. Will do that tommorow. The weird thing is that when i first start the car the idle is normal. Its only after i have gone for a drive then put it back in park that the revs go up to 2000rpm and pretty much stay there.

Did you take out the IAC when you cleaned the TB? Didn't lose the o-ring out of it? Sounds like you have a vac leak.

No. I did a basic clean around the "mouth" area while the TB was on the car, never removed it. Shouldn't be any vac leaks.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I did the first part of this procedure today (saw on youtube).
Got a link for this? Did the idle start coming back down after 3MINS or more?

I have not done the drive above 70km/h bit. Will do that tommorow.
Will have to do procedure from start to finish again. Not just the 70km/h bit. TO THE LETTER.

No. I did a basic clean around the "mouth" area while the TB was on the car, never removed it. Shouldn't be any vac leaks.
Cleaned with what and how? Just sprayed it in with car running?
Sprayed it in with engine not running and pushed open the throttle plate?

Last edited:

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Got a link for this? Did the idle start coming back down after 3MINS or more?

Will have to do procedure from start to finish again. Not just the 70km/h bit. TO THE LETTER.

Cleaned with what and how? Just sprayed it in with car running?
Sprayed it in with engine not running and pushed open the throttle plate?

The idle is normal when i FIRST start the car, its only after i have gone for a drive that the revs increase while in park. Maybe i need to start the procedure when the revs are high after a drive?
Cleaned with throttle body cleaner and micro fibre cloth, car not running and yes moved throttle plate with my fingers.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Get any cloth stuck in the throttle plate?

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Nope, double checked that today

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
are u disconnecting battery before testing procedure ? it will have to have a reason to learn idle and if its just idling its not learning (well it is but it still has memory) u have to remove its memory so it then has to learn again usually some scan tools can clear the TB so it will learn quicker, im not sure if u have to remove its memory somehow like disconnect battery for 5 mins

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
I have disconnected the battery yes. Still no joy. I should mention that i also have a VCM OTR which was absolutely filthy which i cleaned at the same time as the TB. The air filter looks like new now. That wouldn't be causing issues with the engine getting more air into it and causing the rpm fluctuation?

Last edited: