Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS L98 + T56 - Drivetrain slack (120k kms)

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Hey guys,

I've done about 3000k's in the SS I bought so now I'm starting to get familiar with its behaviour.

One thing I noticed was there seems to be a bit of slack in the drivetrain. If I'm on the freeway @ 110 and I back off and then softly get back on the gas, it will often make a bit of a boomy/thud noise (not violent, just pretty audible). It also thuds and a bit of clunking noise when shifting around town (every gear).

Is this common for the the drive-train I've got, or do you think I should get it looked at? I can make it shift smoothly but I have to be super accurate and slow with the entire process which doesn't really seem right.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Failing ^^^^ get the diff checked.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Main culprits are the driveshaft couplings. In the VE's theyre not tooo bad, theyve been beefed up since the VX-VY, but like all rubber components they do deteriorate and if you give it a bit, you'll spit them out. The other culprit, which also results in axle tramp as well as i guess you would say "swaying" when going on and off the pedal are the subframe and diff mount bushes. The rear subframe in the VE is designed to just bolt in bolt out and there are a shitload of rubber bushes in there that arent fantastic.

Theyre a fairly common issue and many people that make the axle tramp complaint or slack or swaying when backing off/going onto power often have worn rear sub frame bushes.

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Okay, awesome, thanks for the replies guys! Sounds like it might just be a common wear and tear thing then :) Will get it checked out soon! Cheers!

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
How old is the car?
I hear abit of a soft thud every now and then, just put it down to age.

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Its an 07 with 120kms on it. Don't believe its been thrashed by the one previous owner.

Uchū Kaizoku

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Arcadia
Grennan is spot on. At around 10k km a coupling bolt on the rubber donut came loose on mine, I thought I blew the diff and reflashed the ecu to stock, took of wheel spacers and basically worried too much when I took it back to Holden. They diagnosed and fixed in an hour while I waited under warranty.
FWIW in retrospect I should have taken the opportunity to install a TruTrac, amazing the difference it makes.

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
I'm going through the same issue with my WM caprice. It's in the workshop as I write getting another diff from a wrecker as well as superpro bush void fillers. I'll let you know how it goes.