Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS LS3 starter motor replacement?

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Hey everyone, my starter motor has **** itself. Has anyone ever changed the starter motor on a SS themselves? Any advice, steps? I’m stuck in a basement carpark and kind of impossible to get towed out

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Hey everyone, my starter motor has **** itself. Has anyone ever changed the starter motor on a SS themselves? Any advice, steps? I’m stuck in a basement carpark and kind of impossible to get towed out
Workshop manual will be your friend. Search for it on this forum.

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
When I had mine replaced it was a bit of mucking around apparently, standard replacement part that had been superseded/modified.
Electrically somewhat different as far as routing of wires went but mine is a S1.
If it has aftermarket headers it may or may not be more difficult to remove especially at ground level.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if ur maneuvering it with the headers on be careful as the power wire to starter is direct to battery, should be just 2 long bolts to release the starter, may have to remove the plastic piece as well if ur manual, then just a clip on terminal for trigger and nut for main power, if its playing up try to start it and get someone to hit the starter with something hard when key is on cranking and it usually shocks the bushes loose and it should start if that was an issue id try that first as if it works its easiest way out

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Always disconnect the positive or ground lead at the battery terminal especially before working on starter motors… Inadvertent spot welding ain’t fun…

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I did mine, driver's side jacked up, wheel off, heat shield off, you can access it and remove but only just. It helps to be a contortionist. Definitely disconnect battery earth first.

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
if ur maneuvering it with the headers on be careful as the power wire to starter is direct to battery, should be just 2 long bolts to release the starter, may have to remove the plastic piece as well if ur manual, then just a clip on terminal for trigger and nut for main power, if its playing up try to start it and get someone to hit the starter with something hard when key is on cranking and it usually shocks the bushes loose and it should start if that was an issue id try that first as if it works its easiest way out
You know, reading your post is common sense that I wish my tuner had read before installing the headers, they didn't disconnect the earth lead which subsequently arced out the fusible link!
Pissed off, you bet, then I had to source another link up here in Darwin, annoying but I found one at the wreckers. Holden up here didn't have one of course lol.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You know, reading your post is common sense that I wish my tuner had read before installing the headers, they didn't disconnect the earth lead which subsequently arced out the fusible link!
Pissed off, you bet, then I had to source another link up here in Darwin, annoying but I found one at the wreckers. Holden up here didn't have one of course lol.
Tuner didn’t take responsibility for his fcukup? He should be the one to buy the required parts he pooch screwed and fix the damage he inflicted :mad:

If you had to carry the repair cost, that really doesn’t bode well should he screw up your tune and you end up with a hole in a piston :rolleyes: