Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS V - Lowering question and advice.

n3wbi3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS V RedLine
Hey guys 1st post.. so be gentle plz :)

Bought a Redline for christamas last year.. loving it btw.

Decided to lower it with pedders coilovers. Told the guys i needed it to be legal height for insurance reason, they said no worries. Got it back and it looks friggen awesome...

Issue it doesnt clear 100mm and certain points underneath the car meaning it aint legal.
Calleed him up told me no worries let the suspension settle for 300km and bring it for tune.

Needs to be raised another 15mm to clear 100mm.

Front measured from bottom of 19inch rim: 600mm
back measured from bottom of 19inch rim: 620mm

Qusestion:
1: iv noticed the right side sits higher then the left by about 8mm .. will this be a issue for now?
2: does any1 here run pedders coilovers and what setting are u running?
3: putting 20inch rims on a bit later on, will this raise the car by much?

cheers guys

20170331_161200_zpsuawnarkg.jpg

20170403_153532_zpsdhfj9r32.jpg

Last edited:

dessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSV Redline Sedan & 2014 VW Golf R
My understanding is that coilovers are illegal in all states regardless of height due to their adjustability? I have never seen anyone do it but in theory once you have it at the height you want you can weld the collars so it is no longer adjustable making them legal.

Some insurance companies have no problem with you stating you have coilovers fitted and they add it to the policy, however the fine print also says an illegal car is not covered by their policy. Could be some risk when it comes time for a claim. Maybe someone with real world experience will chime in.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Your car looks wicked mate. How does it drive?
Pedders should know the answers to all these questions. Their livelihood depends on it. They're a sponsor on this forum too aren't they? Send your questioms and ask for a written response.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
"Question:
1: I've noticed the right side sits higher then the left by about 8mm .. will this be a issue for now?
2: Does any1 here run pedders coilovers and what setting are u running?
3: Putting 20inch rims on a bit later on, will this raise the car by much?"
.....................................................................................................................................................................

1. 8 mm is not a massive difference and running around for a few 100 kms with that difference will not affect anything.
Even in stock out of the factory you will rarely get an exact mm perfect running height measurement from side to side when comparing L rear to R rear or L front to R front in an unladen vehicle.
When you are checking your measurements do so from the dead centre of your wheel hub directly up to the edge of the guard to get the most accurate reading and you need to be on a level surface when doing this.

It is possible the coil over adjustments have not been accurately set on each side. If the hub to guard measurements on the rear are substantially different from side to side, remove the rear wheels one at a time and measure the settings from the adjustable collar on the coilovers.

2. Putting 20 inch wheels on your car does not affect the ride height of the body of your car because you use a lower profile tyre (35 profile for 20 inch versus the 40 profile on the 19 inch FRONT tyres and in the case of the redline 30 versus 35 on the REAR tyres) and the diameter of your tyre remains the same.

Stock 19 inch redline
245 40 19 FR
275 35 19 RR

With a 20 inch wheel upgrade you lower the tyre profile and achieve the same tyre diameter....
245 35 20 FR
275 30 20 RR

Just ensure when you are selecting a new 20 inch wheel you choose a model that will clear the brembo brake calipers because many aftermarket wheels don't clear the larger brakes.
Also ensure you select a rear wheel that has at least a 45 mm offset as anything in a lower offset with your 275 rear tyres will result in the tyres hitting the rear guard lips (with sufficient suspension movement) and you will have to roll them. With a lowered car you might also have the 275 tyre contacting the rear bumper brackets with sufficient suspension movement if the rear wheel offset is not at least 45mm. Your stock wheels are fine as they are a higher offset than this. The stock Redline Front wheels are 48mm offset and the Rear 9 inch Redline wheel is 57mm offset which offers good rear guard clearance.

n3wbi3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS V RedLine
Thanks guys.... some good info...

Spoke to pedders and coil overs are legal ... spoke to insurance and they said no problem with coil overs as long as they meet vicroads specification.... the only thing is that vicroads also states ANY modifications also needs a VASS report .. engineering report.

So if vicroads wanna be dicks and say i need a VASS report and insurance then ask for a VASS report, technically Im not covered with insurance.

By the letter of the law, any modification done needs a VASS report, its just how anal is ur insurance gonna be.

Just spoke to my insurance and they said i dont need a VASS report.

Should i just get 1 to be safe, $400 just for a piece of mind....

Thanks sean880 great info there. Reason for it being 8mm higher on the drivers side is to compensate for the driver in the car.

She drives awsome, not factory soft, bit hard but she feels good and soid around corners.

Tiny bit hard but i might soften it a bit more on its tune up.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
It is not correct that ANY modifications require a certification under the Victorian Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme.

Only modifications that are not specifically authorised require a VASS approval certificate.

Modifications not requiring approval can be found in the VIC roads "Guide to Modifications For Motor Vehicles."

Refer to Information Sheet 8 in the list here..............
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/vehicle-safety/vehicle-standards-information
AND
https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads..._LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_Nov_2015_v4.pdf

Since adjustable coil overs are not exactly the same as a straight replacement strut/shock and spring set up which typically does not require certification under the current rules, given how the rules are written it is really a question of how the VIC authorities choose to interpret them when it comes to adjustable coil overs. You can read it either way as to whether or not you need a VASS approval. The VIC authorities must have made an assessment/interpretation one way or the other so I would check with them on it. I expect you will find they have cleared adjustable coil overs as a suspension modification not requiring a VASS certification provided you otherwise comply with the limitations on suspension modification and with the general standards for registration. If you don't want to go to them contact one of their listed engineers that undertake VASS approvals and they should be able to tell you.

Since it is your responsibility alone to keep your car complaint and technically roadworthy, if I was fitting adjustable coil overs on my car in any State I would certainly want to check whether any approvals are needed for that specific suspension modification from stock rather than relying on what 3rd parties are advising.

n3wbi3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS V RedLine
Hey sean880... iv spoken to 2 different guys that do the VASS report and both have said that i do need a VASS report, not sure if they just want the money or not.
Best way to find out is straight to vicroads today and ask them my self.