Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Pinging Sound under load

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
Hi All
i have a 12 ssv redline ute.. am getting constant pinging sound under load on flat and inclines..
not down hill.. so i think its pinging..
have no faults.. do knock sensors need to fault.. or could they be bad..?
Noticeably worse when loaded with gear in back..
Running BP 98 only.
Any help appreciated... :)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
knock sensors just work all the time and if they go out of range they would show a fault but they dont show fault when they pick up knock, u would need to be able to look at data to see whats going on like knock retard pid or knock learn factor, if ur untuned u should be fine and mostly u shouldnt even hear pinging it should be dealt with before it gets to that point so id keep an eye on it, could try some octane boosted for 1 tank full see if it goes away then u know whats going on and if its still there they it may be related to something alse (try e85 if ur flex as u shouldnt get any knock on that)

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
thank you 07gts..
i will try your advice..
i have only had this car for a month.. and still finding issue after issue...
the clown i bought from said he had no idea about cars.. and i am third owner.. only at 100ks.. and was used to tow i was told..
i do not know if she has been tuned or not.. but will def try e85..
thnx again.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi All
i have a 12 ssv redline ute.. am getting constant pinging sound under load on flat and inclines..
not down hill.. so i think its pinging..
have no faults.. do knock sensors need to fault.. or could they be bad..?
Noticeably worse when loaded with gear in back..
Running BP 98 only.
Any help appreciated... :)

Is it an auto?

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
i did think that.. afm switches over on and off .. when i take foot of gas and coast along.. the pinging or engine straining sound is when i accelerate only and only up hill..

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Have you tried the basics like checking the air filter, cleaning the maf sensor, clean throttle body, injector cleaner in the tank, check and possibly replace spark plugs if they haven’t been done, check spark plug leads? It’s possibly a slight miss as opposed to a ping

Last edited:

OLI170

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR S2 UTE
yes all was done when i bought car 4 weeks ago.. even new leads..Bosch. Iridium plugs.. all filters.. castrol edge oil.. cooling system flush and fill. Full tank with Cleaner..
It's like it Strugles with the load in the back.. churping crickets under bonnet when pulling up any incline..

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
yes all was done when i bought car 4 weeks ago.. even new leads..Bosch. Iridium plugs.. all filters.. castrol edge oil.. cooling system flush and fill. Full tank with Cleaner..
It's like it Strugles with the load in the back.. churping crickets under bonnet when pulling up any incline..

Sounds like It's got a worn cam lobe to me.