Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stage 1 shift kit - worth it?

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
hey all, im thinking of getting a stage 1 shift kit.

from peoples personal experience with them, are they worth it? is there somewhat of a noticeable difference with it? is it worth the $70?

cheers

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Yeah, unless you are purely using it for towing, spend the extra and get the stage 2 kit. Well worth the few hundred you pay for it. If you hunt around you can find one fitted for about $350.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
I have a Stage 1 Transgo shift kit in my car. The only reason I got the stage one was because they would not offer a warranty on stage 2 or 3 kits. I had the whole GB rebuilt with a heavy duty drive shell and corvette servo. I am happy with the firmness of the shifts, I dont know if I would have a stage 2 now because I quite like the way it shifts. Saying that the actually revs it shifts in auto is **** and too low, but when changing manually, its ace, very strong.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
i was thinking of a 2, but is it true that with a 2 you can put the stick into any gear at any speed and it will engage, like put it into 1st at 100 ks?

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
i ment if your doing 70ks in third and you knock the stick back to first it wont actually engauge the gear untill your doing under 60ks, ive heard that the stage 2 will go to what ever gear you move the stick to, only for down shifts tho, not fully manualised

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I thought even with a shift kit it's not too great for the gearbox downshifting in an auto?

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought even with a shift kit it's not too great for the gearbox downshifting in an auto?

yeah, ive driven mine hard treating it like a manual most of the time, doesnt slip even after over 100000ks worth of me driving it, i was kinda hoping the auto would break so ide be motivated to drop a manual box in it but since it wont break im thinkin of kittin the auto