Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Stage 2 shift kit in 200k box

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
The shift kit basically increases the line pressure and provides stiffer springs for the various valves in the transmission. The effect of this is that it forces apply components to apply faster and harder and then release faster and harder than standard. It also removes some of the springs which are designed to 'cushion' the apply force of certain parts. This basically means that various transmission parts are going to be under more stress than normal. If these parts are already worn, damaged or have worn out seals then they will fail much sooner. Even without the shift kit these parts will fail eventually though so it just sort of speeds up the inevitable.

As far as tranmissions go the 4L60E and T700 (4L60E is basically a T700 with electronically controlled valves instead of mechanically controlled) are pretty notorious for wearing out certain parts very quickly (3-4 clutch pack is a very common one). If you can I'd strongly recommend a reco or rebuild but if you don't have the funds get the trans service + shift kit + trans cooler. Come to think of it I'm not sure if the VY's have a separate trans cooler but if they don't then get one. Heat is the number one enemy of your transmission and a cooler will keep it alive much longer. You'd probably enjoy having a corvette servo fitted too. Goes well with the shift kit.

If you get it rebuilt look for someone that is going to do it properly. A lot of places will simply replace steels, clutches, band and seals and leave it at that. A good place will replace those as well as any worn hard parts and they'll also install various upgraded components that have come out over the years. The 4L60E's have changed quite a bit over the years and there are many heavy duty upgrades available.

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
hey all

just thought i would post this up

pretty funny story... but will keep it short

was driving to work this morning, which is an hour and a half away from home, was merging infront of some guy and tapped the accelerator to get in front of him as my nose was already in front
as i tapped it it jumped into second and BOOM

i limped it to my job site and was pissed off about it becasue i had 1st, no second,but still had 3rd and 4th

i slowly drove it "Race Shift" in Epping (15 mins from site) and asked them to take a look

got a call about 1 hours later and was informed, to my joy, that the 2nd band was fried and would need a re-build as some other components were ruined also (cant remember the names lol)

after a lengthy talk on the phone was quoted $1500 for a rebuild with a stage 2 shift kit and new servo thrown in :)

also spoke about stronger bands and something else that i forgot lol

so i guess i answered my question way up the start of this thread....DONT PUT A STAGE 2 IN A 200k box hahahahaha

so....i have parked her in the shed at home and will work my ass of and be the tightest thing living to beef up my transmission with some quality gear

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
Just looking aroundfor some quotes

Anyone know places that are reputable to recondition transmissions?

Cherrs