Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stage 2 shift kit

Col74

Col74
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 V6
HI people,
I have a VS ecotech calais 2 and thinking of fitting a stage 2 shift kit, should make it more responsive?
Any ideas guys.

Also it's on gas (just put on) and thinking of a super charger in the future, maybe on that bolts straight onto the block.
Again, any idea's?

Thanks.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
not sure how you mean by responsive. but a shift kit will improve the characteristics of the trans very noticably. it will feel alot firmer through acceleration and obviously the shift will be much quicker and depending on how much throttle your giving it, it will shift gears harder.
kickbacks will also be more sensitive and it will hold gears better, which is one of the things i love about my shift kit....no more waiting 4-5 seconds after you put the foot down a bit to overtake etc, before it responds and kicksback a gear (even on relatively light throttle delivery - dont need to mash it to the floor, lol).
basically i give shift kits a big :thumbsup: i cant imagine driving a auto without one now, they're such a good improvement.

as for the s/c, in the long run its cheaper to just buy a L67 (factory supercharged ecotec) and transplant that, than convert all the necessary parts onto you current engine.

Col74

Col74
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 V6
Thanks SircruisealotVS,
The info is very appreciated.

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
not sure how you mean by responsive. but a shift kit will improve the characteristics of the trans very noticably. it will feel alot firmer through acceleration and obviously the shift will be much quicker and depending on how much throttle your giving it, it will shift gears harder.
kickbacks will also be more sensitive and it will hold gears better, which is one of the things i love about my shift kit....no more waiting 4-5 seconds after you put the foot down a bit to overtake etc, before it responds and kicksback a gear (even on relatively light throttle delivery - dont need to mash it to the floor, lol).
basically i give shift kits a big :thumbsup: i cant imagine driving a auto without one now, they're such a good improvement.

as for the s/c, in the long run its cheaper to just buy a L67 (factory supercharged ecotec) and transplant that, than convert all the necessary parts onto you current engine.
Yep what sir said... ive always shift kitted my autos and could not drive a car without one!! std auto's seem to be fooked like there slipping once your used to driving a shift kitted car...LOL my opinion get one installed and you will kick yourself for not doing it earlier :thumbsup:

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
do you need to rebuild the tranny or you just get it installed??? Do I need to go to the mechanic or a specialized trans shop??

Col74

Col74
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 V6
Ok guys,
I've done some ringing around for a stage 2 shift kit. Cost between $300 and $440. Some companies (not perfomance) said not a good idea because it will damage the transmission but other companies( performance places) said no probs. So who do i believe?
I have a stock as a rock VS V6 and just want better shifting out of my auto. Has anyone had fitted a stage 2 shift kit and are happy or not happy?

SlyVR

Fo'sizzle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wags
mate if you have a great gear box do it :), u shouldnt have to pay 300-400 btw, i got mine for like 220. And i have a gas car. putting a shift kit on ur car will put pressue on trans, diff, rear bushes. and the tread of ur tyres might be getting dim aftter awhile :)

I strongly agree for anyone with a good Auto Gearbox, to get one u might get crappy fuel for a few weeks cause ur testing it out :) but after that ur get used to it and now chirp everywhere :)

i cant wait to get my auto box redone asap so i can leave blackies everywhere :)

hope i have helped,

Sly

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Twin Turbo, VN Turbo, VY Storm
When it comes to shift kits you really need to know what your getting. The prices above explain about 3 different ways to go about shift kitting a gearbox.

There are many types of kits or mods you can do to make the gearbox shift harder. However there is also alot of other problems that should be fixed while there fitting a shift kit however some kits don't even drop the valve body out.

Ill explain the basics i different stages. (DIDO = Drive In Drive Out)

Stage 0.5
Pressure control modification when adjusting the pressure manual with sump off or installing an resistor into the path of the signal for the PCS. Look to spend $100 DIDO

Stage 1
Manual pressure adjust and boost valve fitment. Look to spend $150 to $200 DIDO

Stage 1.5
Boost valve and spring install, Drilled V/B Plate, Line Pressure spring install and Accumulator spring upgrades. Look to spend $200 to $300 DIDO

Stage 2
New Boost valve and Boost valve spring, New Drilled V/B Plate, New Line Pressure spring, New Accumulator springs, New 1-2 Shift valve, New Actuator Valve Spring, New Cut Back Valve Spring, and a heap of other small mods to help the trans last longer. Look to spend $400+ DIDO

Extra Areas to look into while things are out.

VR-On have really bad Lock-Up problems and can cause major failures if not fixed. There are a few valve kit that can be installed when fitting a shift kit with the valve body out.

Solenoids can be blocked or leaking from worn orings which can cause major failures and should be checked also if valve body is out.

Pressure switches on the valve body are always filled with crap and cause many different problems that can cause people to have a new trans when all that needs doing it having it cleaned or replaced.

So when it comes to having a shift kit fitted you have to ask yourself if your getting just getting a kit fitted or are you getting a Full Valve body Overhaul as well.

To drive into a Automatic Transmission Shop and drive out with a full Stage 2 kit and Corvette Servo with the Valve body overhaul i would look to spend $500-$600 Plus Faulty Electronic items. Now that price is for Sydney with rent being about $7000 a month so different areas will be cheaper.

Col74

Col74
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 V6
Thanks Furious_8,
The place i was quoted is Trick Shift in Campbellfield VIC.
The peorson i spoke to said they do a custom job for $440 DIDO and they have machinery to produce better quality products that would normally come with a kit that you can get for around $220-300. Plus they check over the transmission to see if anything else needs to be done.
But what do i know, i'm just a guy with some cash ;o).

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Col74, go and see Trevor at Race Shift , theyre in epping just of cooper st. always had my boxes rebuilt and shift kitted by him and i'm more than happy with the results and work
PS: i paid around the $250 mark for a stage 2 shift kit by race shift