Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stage 2 shift kit

Col74

Col74
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 V6
Thanks S/C Calais.
I've just booked in to Trick Shift on Friday. I know i can change companies if i want but i went there and talked to the guy, he seemed genuine and really went into detail with what they do.
It's not just a kit they do, it's a custom job and i can always go back and get it adjusted later if it's shifting to hard or not hard enough.
Obviously your happy with your guy so he must do a great job.
I'll let you all know how i go and if i should have listened to you :eek:).
Thanks again.

Col74

Col74
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 V6
Well Guys, got the Stage 2 shift kit done by Trick Shift in Camplefield and very happy with the job. Doesn't slam into gear, fairly light but firm at light throtle, frimer as the more throtle is applied. Kicks down quicker so it's more responsive too.
Like to thank all for the general info.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
When it comes to shift kits you really need to know what your getting. The prices above explain about 3 different ways to go about shift kitting a gearbox.

There are many types of kits or mods you can do to make the gearbox shift harder. However there is also alot of other problems that should be fixed while there fitting a shift kit however some kits don't even drop the valve body out.

Ill explain the basics i different stages. (DIDO = Drive In Drive Out)

Stage 0.5
Pressure control modification when adjusting the pressure manual with sump off or installing an resistor into the path of the signal for the PCS. Look to spend $100 DIDO

Stage 1
Manual pressure adjust and boost valve fitment. Look to spend $150 to $200 DIDO

Stage 1.5
Boost valve and spring install, Drilled V/B Plate, Line Pressure spring install and Accumulator spring upgrades. Look to spend $200 to $300 DIDO

Stage 2
New Boost valve and Boost valve spring, New Drilled V/B Plate, New Line Pressure spring, New Accumulator springs, New 1-2 Shift valve, New Actuator Valve Spring, New Cut Back Valve Spring, and a heap of other small mods to help the trans last longer. Look to spend $400+ DIDO

Extra Areas to look into while things are out.

VR-On have really bad Lock-Up problems and can cause major failures if not fixed. There are a few valve kit that can be installed when fitting a shift kit with the valve body out.

Solenoids can be blocked or leaking from worn orings which can cause major failures and should be checked also if valve body is out.

Pressure switches on the valve body are always filled with crap and cause many different problems that can cause people to have a new trans when all that needs doing it having it cleaned or replaced.

So when it comes to having a shift kit fitted you have to ask yourself if your getting just getting a kit fitted or are you getting a Full Valve body Overhaul as well.

To drive into a Automatic Transmission Shop and drive out with a full Stage 2 kit and Corvette Servo with the Valve body overhaul i would look to spend $500-$600 Plus Faulty Electronic items. Now that price is for Sydney with rent being about $7000 a month so different areas will be cheaper.

Very good post, i have wondered about Stage 2 Shift kits for a while, since when my car was purchased it had one installed, now i know wat it is. Thanks for the information :thumbsup:

H.I.M666

Rockstar23987
Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VR Acclaim Version 2
i got a stage 2 shift kit fitted by the automatic shop here in rocky ( Rockhampton) i got a full gearbox rebuild with stage 2 shift kit and oil cooler as big as a prado intercooler just no as thick. the performance increase is considerable she shifts harder and rides sweet. all up she cost me roughly $3000 for the whole jobby. the car had only 108000 ks when she went in for it, a litte over kill with the full rebuild but she was leaking and starting to get noisy. the car is a 93 vr acclaim. i reakomend getting the rebuild aswell. just as a piece of mind thing.

mine doesn't chirp due to it being on stock standard irs springs. she just squats. but it will be getting superlowered shortly

i never want to drive an auto without a shift kit again.

vsMick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Hey Col74, out of interest how much did the shift kit cost you? I was looking at going to Trick Shift at some stage and talking to them about it, im starting to get mighty desperate for a trans service, may as well shift kit it while im at it to i spose :)

james_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore II
When it comes to shift kits you really need to know what your getting. The prices above explain about 3 different ways to go about shift kitting a gearbox.

There are many types of kits or mods you can do to make the gearbox shift harder. However there is also alot of other problems that should be fixed while there fitting a shift kit however some kits don't even drop the valve body out.

Ill explain the basics i different stages. (DIDO = Drive In Drive Out)

Stage 0.5
Pressure control modification when adjusting the pressure manual with sump off or installing an resistor into the path of the signal for the PCS. Look to spend $100 DIDO

Stage 1
Manual pressure adjust and boost valve fitment. Look to spend $150 to $200 DIDO

Stage 1.5
Boost valve and spring install, Drilled V/B Plate, Line Pressure spring install and Accumulator spring upgrades. Look to spend $200 to $300 DIDO

Stage 2
New Boost valve and Boost valve spring, New Drilled V/B Plate, New Line Pressure spring, New Accumulator springs, New 1-2 Shift valve, New Actuator Valve Spring, New Cut Back Valve Spring, and a heap of other small mods to help the trans last longer. Look to spend $400+ DIDO

Extra Areas to look into while things are out.

VR-On have really bad Lock-Up problems and can cause major failures if not fixed. There are a few valve kit that can be installed when fitting a shift kit with the valve body out.

Solenoids can be blocked or leaking from worn orings which can cause major failures and should be checked also if valve body is out.

Pressure switches on the valve body are always filled with crap and cause many different problems that can cause people to have a new trans when all that needs doing it having it cleaned or replaced.

So when it comes to having a shift kit fitted you have to ask yourself if your getting just getting a kit fitted or are you getting a Full Valve body Overhaul as well.

To drive into a Automatic Transmission Shop and drive out with a full Stage 2 kit and Corvette Servo with the Valve body overhaul i would look to spend $500-$600 Plus Faulty Electronic items. Now that price is for Sydney with rent being about $7000 a month so different areas will be cheaper.

Where abouts in Sydney do u recomend, ive been looking at places for awhile but i dont know anyone that has got one done...

shaded_vs

German Commo: VT Berlin
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina FOR SALE PM ME - VT Berlina
i got a stage 2 shift kit fitted by the automatic shop here in rocky ( Rockhampton) i got a full gearbox rebuild with stage 2 shift kit and oil cooler as big as a prado intercooler just no as thick. the performance increase is considerable she shifts harder and rides sweet. all up she cost me roughly $3000 for the whole jobby.

3 grand? get a manual mate :p :yeah: haha nah whatever pleases u...

32pseye

32pseye
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr aclaim
If you are after a supercharger to bolt straight on. Get on to the Castlemain Rod Shop site. They have full packages for about $2000, mates got one a its awesome, easy to fit to

Col74

Col74
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 V6
Hey VS Mick,
The shift kit cost me $440.00 drive in drive out. They really do a good job. Check the valve body and clean it out. Not just a bolt on job. And they guy (Scott) is easy to talk to, go and talk to him. Trick Shift in Campbellfield.

Last edited: