Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stage 3 shift kit questions

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
i have searched high and low and havent found the information im after, so any help would be good thanks.

ive got vt v6 with 4L60E

bought a stage 2 kit, but after talkin to auto places it sounds like im gonna have to get an auto rebuild cos of 210 000ks on the box.

so i thought **** it, might aswell go stage 3 kit.

do you need a stage 2 kit installed before you can get a stage 3 installed?
has anyone got a stage 3? what do they think of it? worth it or just stick with the 2?

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
21 views and not 1 person knows? lol

come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, pleasssssse

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
You dont need a stage 2 to be installed to go stage 3. Its a completely different type of weapon.

From my understanding stage 3 is more for track and strip driving and is unsuitable for everyday driving around town. It turns the trans into a manual auto...if that makes sense. I would stick with the stage 2.

<RaBBiT>

Follow the White RaBBiT>>
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Berlina V8, VS Calais 5spd, VN V8, VR States
stage 2 is pefect for street use were as stage three is a fully manualised auto, same as those new clutches manuals u see in new cars just better

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
as said, stage 3 wont shift on its own so you would need a b&m to avoid overshifting and all the rest of it, heaps of fun but I think you will get over it. Go stage 2.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The downside to a stage 3 shift kit is that if you decide to have a bit of fun and you forget to change gears, you can do some serious damage through over rev, also unless you get a good shifter, you might accidentally shift into 1st when you want 2nd or something. 100km/h in first makes for interesting show.

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Upgrading to the manualised valve body (stage 3) also makes all shifts very firm, which can become a bit annoying if using as a daily driver, and yes you would also need some sort of ratchet shifter to make sure you didn't change more than one gear at a time.

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
yeah see i wouldnt mind getting all that and dealing with changing gears. i do want a manual but the $ is to much.

also makeing it manuilaized will i still have over drive? or will it just goto 3rd?

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
You will still have all gears.

But you MUST remember to change gears when you slow down or stop. Otherwise you WILL stuff up the gearbox.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Its a waste of time for the street, you'll slave the box if you dont shift down at the right time and end up fixing it more than using it. They are not made for the street as they are only made to shift up at exactly the right revs, there is no need to downshift in a drag race which is what they are intended for.