Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Staggered option...pros & cons?

ink

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Ive just lowered my SV6 and am now looking at rims/tyres

My first choice is no longer available apparently, though Ive decided on Speedy Cheetahs black....Im thinking going 20" x 8.5's on the front, and 20" x 10's on the rear.....similar to the wagon below but in black.

Are there any negatives with different width tyres front & back? Pro's and cons?

I once had 245s on 225 chasers - crazy

staggeredspeedies.jpg

blcarter81

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE CALAIS
im not too sure about negatives but when i was buying my wheels from ozzy, they were pushing for the staggered set as it looks "tough as" and way better then a regular set. His words, but as for looks its really your own perosnal liking.

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
When I bought my 20" rims I didn't go the staggered. My main reason was you can't rotate the wheels.

But I do think the staggered look better. But if your car is lowered and you have 20"x 10" my main concern would be scrubbing.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
limits your tyre selection a bit - other than that - deep dish is always the way to go! Especially with a decent amount of camber dialed in up-front - that baby will grip like a bastard!

hmmm.. now I'm hungry for pizza!

That wagon looks freaking sensational!

Goody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE maloo
The rotation of tyres and the wear is the main factors , you cant argue that staggered look 2000 % better than 245s all round unless you have a V6 then thats all you need for traction, 10 in wide rims look better but as for tyres you never really own them do you I mean they just vanish over time and sometimes turn into smoke ! So Dont be to tight with tyre selection but the more expensive = better traction but **** wear and
cheaper tyres = harder compound noiser but better life , wear
There's the truth mate.

ink

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hmmm yeh didnt think of rotation, knew there was something there though, thats why I started the thread.
I guess 2 at a time when the time comes isnt such a biggie
Cant wait now...bring on sat morning

But I do think the staggered look better. But if your car is lowered and you have 20"x 10" my main concern would be scrubbing.
Do you mean scrubbing the wheel arch?

Its really only been lowered minimally, probably 20/25mm atm but that was less than a week ago too.

ink

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
This is much lower than mine and has 10's on the back....love the colour btw

speedys.jpg

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
staggered wheels induces more understeer. other than that, you're stuck with getting the tyre shop to flip tyres for rotation, no front to back swapping. im running staggered on the e21 and havent had any problems whatsoever.

ink

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
staggered wheels induces more understeer.
Would that cause the fronts to wear quicker?
other than that, you're stuck with getting the tyre shop to flip tyres for rotation, no front to back swapping. im running staggered on the e21 and havent had any problems whatsoever.
Sorry mate, whaddya mean by flip tyres?