Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stall converter

AWSUMVB308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl/e 308
hi all lookin at puttin a new stall in my vb 308.
what size is to big?
and what size would prob be a good size?
thinkin around the 3000 mark

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
all depends on your engine. if ya engine starts making power and torque at 3000 then get a 3000 converter. if your engine starts making power at 4000 get a 4000 convertor. if your engine starts making power at 2500 get a 2500. no use making it too small if your engine starts working at a higher rpm as it will bog down before it gets going, no use going too high else youll just break out in wheel spin and loose effect.

tall ya a story, i had this XA falcon come in for a wheel alignment one day, had this lumpy cam in it and the owner reckoned it ran 10's down the strip. when i drove it prior to wheel alignment, not thrashing it, it seemed a gutless pig and here i am thinking hes a tosser wanking off.
After alignment i decided to wind it out and see what its made of. down a long quiet back street where i go to test drive things i decided to give it a boot full. started off like an old granny diesel gemini and im here thinking what a load of crap. then when the revs hit 4000, all of a sudden it hits its power band and im left with dirty undies.
That was 10 years ago and i still havent forgotten, it scared the absolute crap out of me, it lurched forward with the front left lifting up and gave me a hell of a fright it went that damn quick.

AWSUMVB308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl/e 308
ok well i have a ford nine inch lsd with 3.55 gears.
i am in the process of putting a 31 spline detroit truetrac centre, custom moser axles and shortening the diff a bit to fit bigger wheels still with the 3.55 gears. so thats the diff.
and the cam i no its got an after market cam its lumpy but not massive, i am not sure wat size the cam is or brand as it was in wen i bought car?
this engine will be in car for a while in the mean time as i save for a crate engine with a big cam, thats wat will be run in the car with the stall.

what is around best rpm stall for this setup?

thank you

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
no idea, dyno the engine and find out where the power range is etc.. if your saving for a new engine, dont bother with the stall converter now as the stall will be different on a different engine with different power outputs. a 3000 stall converter on your current engine may turn into a 3500 stall converter on your more powerful engine.

AWSUMVB308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl/e 308
so ur sayin just wait. ill prob get one for this engine and one for the next and sell this one with the engine. whats the best way to work out wat size to get.
thank you

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
if u want a proper size convertor specifically designed for your engine, see a performance convertor manufacturer and get it custom made. they will ask all the right questions to give you what you want and youll be happy. chances are that if you just go out say you want a 3000 stall convertor without giving specific details you wont be happy. and they will want lots of details to get stall right.

AWSUMVB308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl/e 308
ok thank you do you have any clues on were some are
thank you