Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stall converters

marshcory

marshy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 , VP exec , XE Falcon ;)
hey i was just wanting anyones opinion on stall converters. because im looking at maybe putting one in because i might be getting a reco'd auto with a new st 2 shift kit and would astall converter just say a 2500rpm or 3000rpm be an advantage to get quicker off the mark ect my car is v6 with, cam ,heads ,extractors ,mspool ,3.9's... should i get one.. or waste of time and money? anyone have any experience with them and recommended 2500 or 3000 for example

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
got one in my car not long ago. i thought cam only the car was pretty good. once the stall went in it was rediculious. lots quicker then cam only mate. a 3000rpm stall would go very nice. definatly worth the extra money. having said that ive never driven a stalled V6, cant see it being much different though.

HSV99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 HSV SV99
With the mods you've listed I think it would be a good next step. They definately improve your cars performance but they do take a bit of getting used to for every day driving. They're not for everyone but if you can live with the minispool I'm sure you can live with a stally!

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Just keep one thing in mind, a stall takes the engine straight to 3000 revs. A shift kit only increases the pressures in the box so there is no lag between changes and 3.9 diff gears rev out the gears quicker( I assume you got 3.08 or similar standard. If you dont put a cam in, you'll take off at 3000 and peak at around 4500-5000 and with those gears you'll be revving very high on the freeway. Also the minispool just locks both rear wheels so there is no slip at all, great for dragging straight lines, crap as for turning and can be hell in the wet. It would be a fun car but if you want to rev harder,do the cam first and lift the rev range of the engine. If you go too high ie 7-8000. Start looking at bottom end work as well, pistons etc. so you dont melt them either.
A shift kit doesn't give the car any power, it just hold gears and changes up AND down with a thump. Engine is where the power comes from, trans and diff determine what revs the engine is doing at what speed and when it will change gear. Let us know what you do and how it goes, good luck.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Stallies are awesome for a car that needs one (ie, cammed). Any reputible retailer or manufacturer of high stall converters will have a table for working out the perfect stall point for your car - which is really important - you don't just want to pluck a number out of the air and say i'll take that one.
They'll need some info about the engine and driveline, like the cam specs and diff gear ratio and such, and then they'll be able to recommend a stall point. Having a dyno sheet showing torque is also an advantage as you want the stall point to be just before your torque starts to peak.

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5L - 12.6@108 stock bottom end & comp
shiftSLE
just because its rated to 3000rpm, doesn't mean it won't go anywhere until the motor hits that speed, it doesn't free rev. I've got a 3200rpm stall in my stato, yeah it takes a little bit more engine speed to get moving, but not the full stall speed, not even close.

marshcory

marshy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 , VP exec , XE Falcon ;)
thanks for the info guys. im going to look at some at a local transmission joint... they sell and install them...

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
shiftSLE
just because its rated to 3000rpm, doesn't mean it won't go anywhere until the motor hits that speed, it doesn't free rev. I've got a 3200rpm stall in my stato, yeah it takes a little bit more engine speed to get moving, but not the full stall speed, not even close.

i know it doesn't but you dont bother with stalls without cams or any engine work at all if your'e gonna use a stall for what its meant to be used for. No use tramping it which a proper stall will jump to 3000 and running out of revs at 4500. it will sound good and hot until you burn all your clutches in your box out. But anyway if yours is good for what you have, then good stuff but a shift kit only revs gears and shifts with more pressure which is all that marshcory seems to have done. I had 3.9 gears in mine when I got it and it was useless without a cam. All i'm saying is if you get all your driveline (stalls tranny and diff) worked, none of these create power just change ratios, if you want to go harder, you start with the engine then suit everything else around your power curve.

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5L - 12.6@108 stock bottom end & comp
well, no actually, you can put a stall on a stock engine and increase the performance of the car.

A stall convertor is actually a torque multiplier, thus giving a greater level of torque to the rear wheels when rated to a higher stall speed, whilst also bringing the launch engine speed closer to peak torque, giving closer to optimal on road performance. A well built convertor can multiply torque up the 3 times that of the engine alone. I'm not sure where you get the "running out of revs" part from, you can still rev the engine out to the previous max rpm of the engine. I think you're confusing convertor slip and where it's applicable.

You should also note that a shorter diff ratio (ie 3.91:1 vs 3.08:1) is also a torque multiplier, hence, traction permitting, will give an increased level of performance also, regardless if the engine is stock or not.

Shift kits only increase performance slightly due to the decreased shift time (i.e. less time spent changing the gears, more time in gear). Its primary function is to increase the life of the clutches in the auto under heavy loads.

HTH

con7502003

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5ltr
well said devil to all on here if you cant back up statements dont comment ffs .