Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stalling and Won't Start issues

danwag50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hi my beloved VT has been well looked after but with 245000 on the clock now needs a bit of extra work. Two main issues if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this pls help:

1) appears when engine is warm sometimes (and getting worse) it turns over but does not start. Have to keep trying for a few minutes hoping battery does not go flat to get it to start. NEVER happens when engine is cold i.e. first thing in the morning after sitting all night. Sometimes when first turning the key it seems to start straight away for a split second but then just turns over with a bit of a thud. When it does decide to start it seems to splutter a bit.

2) when driving and mainly when ease off accelerator to reduce speed, going down a hill or driving slow etc, I guess when revs are not high, car stalls and all lights on dash are on like battery was disconnected for a millisecond. Have to pull over and start car again. Now sometimes problem 1 happens when trying to restart - not good.

Any advice appreciated.

D.

Commodoreluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Mine was cutting out almost as soon as the engine warmed up a little (Maybe after driving about 5-10km) and I replaced the coil pack and that seemed to work.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
Hi Commodoreluc

did you replace the DFI + coil packs with new or second hand?

thanks

bones308

vnkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais
Most likely crank angle sensor, but could be a loose battery terminal, which expands when heated.