Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Standard LS3 tune

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I know it's a "How long is a piece of string" question.
I have a dead stock no OTR, exhaust mods', cam etc LS3.
What flywheel kW increase would I expect just with a tune?
I know making the above mods would increase the gain much more, but I don't want to go that far, just looking for a bit more 'pep'

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I know it's a "How long is a piece of string" question.
I have a dead stock no OTR, exhaust mods', cam etc LS3.
What flywheel kW increase would I expect just with a tune?
I know making the above mods would increase the gain much more, but I don't want to go that far, just looking for a bit more 'pep'
10ish ?
15 ish with just K&N panel filter and tune

It's not all about peak power. Fiddling with torque management, transmission tune etc can change how the car feels.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
As a guide....

My stock LS3 made 245rwkw.

With Rotofab intake untuned 256rwks.

With Rotofab intake tuned 269rwkw

With Harrop otr tuned 289rwks

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a bigger gain than I thought just with the OTR. I might have to bite the bullet on that as well. I would do a trans tune as well. I want it to drive well down low and not just have all the extra at the top end.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
As a guide....

My stock LS3 made 245rwkw.

With Rotofab intake untuned 256rwks.

With Rotofab intake tuned 269rwkw

With Harrop otr tuned 289rwks
So why did you stick with the rotofab instead of Harrop?

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
-No need to lean back radiator
-Easy to remove filter
-Far less frequent need to clean the filter
-Super solid build quality
I'm looking at an orssom as it doesn't need the rad moved or anything stock cut off or cut out to fit. It seems it's a straight bolt on and bolt off if I want to go back to stock. 30min install they say.....
That's if I decide to get one. Scared things might start to snowball if I start playing with it too much. That's why I just want the stock motor tuned. Not really intending to do anything else. (famous last words)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I'm looking at an orssom as it doesn't need the rad moved or anything stock cut off or cut out to fit. It seems it's a straight bolt on and bolt off if I want to go back to stock. 30min install they say.....
That's if I decide to get one. Scared things might start to snowball if I start playing with it too much. That's why I just want the stock motor tuned. Not really intending to do anything else. (famous last words)
I considered it too. The issue with that is that it performs ok on the dyno with the bonnet open, but with the bonnet closed it sucks hot air.

There is next to no gap for air to enter on VF with Orrsom.That's why you see hardly anyone using it. I'd stay clear...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I would switch back to OTR if there was one where filter was easily removed.

OTR will perform best but will collect all dirt and sand very quickly. In 2000 or 3000 km the filter will be filthy.

That is the main reason I switched rotofab.

I don't mind cleaning the filter frequently but not where the whole intake needs to come out and be pulled apart. I am amazed the neither VCM or Harrop cam up with a better solution.

Letterbox style slot to insert the filter on top of otr cai would solve this. No major redesign would be needed.

At some stage I was thinking of modifying stock Harrop OTR to make the slot opening on top with simple alloy door to close it up....