Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starfires - how much can they take?

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
It sure would be nice to see a starfire all done up. I wonder if you could cut 2 cylinders off a yella terra head and bolt it on. Or even more crazy, bolt one v8 head onto it.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
One V8 head, I highly doubt there is any chance there. They would be totally different. But I am only guessing on this.

Now a cut down 6 cyl head,. Humm,. It's not really worth the effort as you'd have to weld the end back on, get it all perfect and face the head again. The big question is whether all the oil and water gallery holes would match up?

If you want a really crazy idea, how about casting your own yellow terror head? Or even a cross flow head. Maybe you could convince Yellow terror to make one for you. hehe.

But luckily the stock heads not too bad anyhow. It's similar to the Blue 6cyl head ports wise.

It sure would be nice to see a starfire all done up. I wonder if you could cut 2 cylinders off a yella terra head and bolt it on. Or even more crazy, bolt one v8 head onto it.

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
A V8 head will not fit and why bother cutting down a 6 cyl head when the porting and valves are the same as the six anyway. A more practical performance setup would be an SC14 supercharger and Delco 808 EFI setup.

Last edited:

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
i hear that the starfire rods are good for 7500rpm in a 202, after that the engine suffers an electrical fault caused by no. 1 rod crashing through the side of the block and the alternator.

who says there only good for 7500 rpm we have built numerous ammounts of speedway 202's that rev 8000-8750 rpm for a full race at full noise

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
The Starfire motors are great. Had one that had over half a million K's and the thing never blew smoke or cost anything more than a regular tune up with points change. Brilliant motor.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
im going to turn this into nissan.. its like getting a skyline with a rb20 compared to a rb26tt

just not worth the effort. to be different thats about all youd get

lol

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
The Starfire motors are great. Had one that had over half a million K's and the thing never blew smoke or cost anything more than a regular tune up with points change. Brilliant motor.

2nd that...i have probs done a combined 80-90,000 kay between both my starfires and never had a problem with either

Magifil

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS Series III Caprice
Back in the mid 70s GMH made an XU2/3. A Starfire motor with twin SU's, hot cam etc.. and then installed it in a lightened Gemini that Colin Bond drove in the Alpine Rally. It went like a cut snake.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
in response to the initial post, "how much can a starfire take?" we worked out that at about 4000rpm with major oil and water leaks, the starfire could take about 20 little M6 nuts down the carby before it started to make some very bad noises...

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Factory Turbo'd Starfire Commodore! :)

Even Holden got interested in beefing up these magic little motors!. :)

.-.-.

Attachments

• Starfire_Turbo_fowles auctions 001.jpg
    Starfire_Turbo_fowles auctions 001.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 2,001