Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Start up struggle

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Mine did this.

Leaky injector.

Before you shut of the engine pull the fuel pump fuse while holding the engine at a fat idle and wait for it to die.
Turn off ignition and replace fuse.

Leave over night and see if its any better in the morning.

Running the fuel pressure down before shutting it off will stop the injector from leaking./

Thanks mate, I am around 80% sure now its an injector.

Will try this tonight

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ok so progress.

Replaced the injectors (still no change but they were 270,000km old so figured it was due anyway)

Replaced Leads, Plugs, Coils & DFI (Had all these spare) - No Change

Swapped TPS and IAC with spares - No Change

Replaced Crank Angle Sensor - No Change

Swapped Battery over with daily to test - No Change

Fuel Pump is still priming

BUT - I re ran the error codes and got Code 48 - Camshaft Position Sensor - I removed it cleaned/inspected....sensor looked ok......Ran a multi meter over the wiring seemed ok too, checked that the magnet was still there (I replaced this and glued/siliconed it into the sprocket like the buick forums recommended so it didn't fall out again a few months back....still there) so could it be as simple as a faulty sensor causing my start up issues? I would have suspected the cam sensor would give me idle issues while on the road not just start up issues.

Thoughts?

I have a few other theorys which could be that the fuel rail is somewhat damaged causing leaking fuel/starting issues as the new injectors haven't fixed the issue......the regulator could still be faulty, although no visible fuel in the vacuum line, there is a bit of a fuel odour in there but not very strong..............or maybe the coolant temp sensor? or the fuel filter, but I would have thought if it was the filter it would also give me issues across the board not just starting

Also the issue now seems to be fairly random, not necessarily once the car has been sitting, I could start it 2 mins later and it would still struggle a bit

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I think you should try the regulator.

There is a bit of a fuel odour in there ???????????
Where?
Follow you nose snift out fuel smell = find leak? I don`t know give it a try.
Sorry only thing I can think of.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I think you should try the regulator.

There is a bit of a fuel odour in there ???????????
Where?
Follow you nose snift out fuel smell = find leak? I don`t know give it a try.
Sorry only thing I can think of.

I could smell it from the vacuum lead running between the regulator and manifold (I removed the hose to inspect for fuel, I could smell fuel very slightly but not see anything, looked reasonably dry