Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter Motor (second opinion)

TheGrimReaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Evening all. Just wondering if anyone could give me an opinion as to if I’m correct ?
Today when I went to start my car I simply inserted key turned to accessory’s waited to the system check was done turned key and ...... nothing but a simple “tick” held the key at the start place few a few seconds still nothing. Turned it back to accessories the radio turned back on turned it to start and it started with no fault. I was thinking battery but the battery was replaced last weekend, terminals are clean and all instruments work and didnt flicker, central locking works (it didn’t before battery was replaced) just wondering could I be right it saying the started motor is getting stuck or worse needs replacing.

Thanks for all input givin :)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the ve has an auto start function so diagnosis might not be that simple
next time you start your car
turn key to crank for 1/2 second and release key
it will continue to crank until it starts
could be the start relay

TheGrimReaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
I did think of other reasons. But car seems to only do it occasionally. Has happened twice in last two weeks. Seems to be on first start in morning (car sits overnight). I forgot to put that when the car clicked the radio turned off and remained off until the key was put back to accessories then when I turned it a second time the radio stayed on when it started.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
starter failing, sounds like how mine was, doing same , then would only start if lucky

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
My VZ was doing the same then a neighbour gave me a battery charger he did not want, so I charged the battery (for the sake of it) and it has not done the key click since.
That was over a month ago.
Go figure.
My battery is 3 1/2 years old.

On another issue, it had a problem 2 years ago similar to your problem, which I put down to starter, so bought a new starter, but that problem was fixed with new key remote, so new starter is still sitting on the shelf.

Sharon need help

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU11 HOLDEN COMMODORE 5.7litre LS1 GEN111 UTE
Evening all. Just wondering if anyone could give me an opinion as to if I’m correct ?
Today when I went to start my car I simply inserted key turned to accessory’s waited to the system check was done turned key and ...... nothing but a simple “tick” held the key at the start place few a few seconds still nothing. Turned it back to accessories the radio turned back on turned it to start and it started with no fault. I was thinking battery but the battery was replaced last weekend, terminals are clean and all instruments work and didnt flicker, central locking works (it didn’t before battery was replaced) just wondering could I be right it saying the started motor is getting stuck or worse needs replacing.

Thanks for all input givin :)
Take it to your mechanic and get them to do a voltage check that will say if it's the stater motor or another issue