Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

starter motor

synical

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
hey all, i was just wondering where the starter motor is located and is it easily removed? had a look at the gregory's with no luck. also had a look at the service manual on my computer and it says to get under the car. i was hoping to do it from the engine bay if its possible.

any help is appreciated. thanks guys.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Im assuming it a v6 if so its located on the pass side of the car and you need to get under the car to get it off

From memory there are 2x15mm bolts that go vertically remove those and then a 13mm or 12mm spanner to get the main power cable from the battery off the solenoid and then the the spade terminal that triggers the solenoid off and its out on doing it on a hoist 6min job on the ground might take a bit longer HE HE HE HE

Oh also before doing all this a good idea to remove the neg off the battery to save having a spark show when you removing the stater :whistling:whistling:whistling:whistling

synical

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
lol. i guess theres no other way! not sure if ill fit under the car without a hoist...

and yes its a v6.

thanks anyways! :)

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Yeah you can try but i think the exhaust manifold gets in the way

If you cant get under it try driving that side up on bricks or maybe up onto the gutter and slide under from the front that might give you enough room to work..

Or even take to a mechanic shouldnt be anymore than 150 to replace the starter i did one not along ago at work and i dont even think it came to that incl parts.

synical

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
now the gutter trick sounds like a top idea!

just bought a starter motor for like $40 including postage on ebay. hopefully it wont be a dud replacement

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
I was told by a mechanic a few years ago that the steering rack is disturbed (when the starter is removed) and the vehicle will need a wheel alignment afterwards!!!
Any comment from those who have had the starter off??
Pablo

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I removed my VT starter motor without the need to touch the rack.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
I think thats only on earlier models like vr-vs ive done VT and Vx and none of them had to remove the steering rack

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
VS it's easier to drop the exhaust off the manifolds. VT no need to touch anything apart from the starter.