Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter Motor

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
when i go to kick over my car it struggles then tries to kick then struggles again like the battery is flat then hits a burst of energy.

im hoping its the starter motor thats stuffed. what are some good starter motors to suit V8 autos?

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
I've got the same problem with my VR. This only happens when the engine is cold. Happens every morning. I'm going to put more ground points in the engine bay as this should fix the problem.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
you can notice in mine when its cold, but no where near as bad when its warm. on the w.e i switched off my car in the maccas drive thru, big mistake. didnt wanna kick over after that.

bazza250

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
check the earth wire behind the oil filter, onto the engine block

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Check all the terminals for that matter. A little bit of corrosion or dirty/tarnished connections under the battery terminals or under bolt heads on the earths or starter + bolt heads, can stop you drawing large currents from the battery properly into the starter, thus not getting the omf it needs to kick properly, and heat can play a part in that to make it worse.
Lift off and clean your battery terminals and pour some hot water over the lugs on the cables on there to try to clean them up a bit. Take the + off your starter and clean it all up if it needs it, then finaly take off and clean both ends of the earth behind the oil filter. That should hopfully now create a good path for the power to flow and make sure the starter can get the power it needs. Will hopfully fix your problem. post up how it went.

Brucefromruse

CRAVEN MOORHEAD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive s2
Just out interest, how good is the battery? from years gone by it always seems that the electrical system being the weakest point usually fails first. All these guys seem to give the impression that the battery aint what it used to be. When it warms up seems to be a good indicator of a dying battery to me, anyway hope this helps.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
turns out the earth wire nut wasnt tighten and was causing it to short out.

i bought a new Jaylec high torque starter motor from bursons, sounds like a supercharger on idle when you switch the car on. (cost me $176)

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
turns out the earth wire nut wasnt tighten and was causing it to short out.

i bought a new Jaylec high torque starter motor from bursons, sounds like a supercharger on idle when you switch the car on. (cost me $176)
You talking about the gear reduction starter motors? I got one of them and it sounds sweet when you kick her over.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yeah my mate has an old red engine and his starter went, if he started the car, ran it for a while and stopped it was an hour before he could start it again, damn thing next to the extractors just got too hot and it pretty much killed it.