Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting problems with VS!Can u help?

V

vsbakkie

Hey Guys

have just recently purchased a column shift auto VS ute series 2. Some times when i try start it, it doesnt seem to click over. Now it is in park for all you smarty's! and then when i leave it on but not trying to start it for a minute or so it kicks over. What could be the problem???

Cheers

VSBakkie :hit:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Need to provide some more details to get a good solution. Do the lights (engine, oil etc) come on in the car. Does it try to turn over or just make a click? Checking your battery is always a good place to start.

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Hi,
I get the same problem with my VSII as well. I found that if you turn the key back to off then try it again 90% of the time it will start, always starts within 3 or so goes, sometimes with a bit of a splutter though! Lights etc all working at the time so I doubt its the battery (its new as well).
Mines been doing this for a year or so (not every day, its a weekly thing) and is still going fine so I've never done anything about it...
Hope that helps

C

cemore

Think you'll find it is the key. Got something to do with the battery in the key and little knob on key running on the contact of column. Thats what my mechanic said anyway, he said it was a common problem. Sometimes you turn on the ignition and then nothing. Turn it back to off and turn it on again and it starts. My spare key which I haven't used is no problem. I priced a new key and it wasn't worth it.

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
a mate with a vs said he has the same problem, due to the key bein stupid with a low/flat battery! get ya key replaced/if ur really keen to get it fixed, not sure on the cost of the key $80ish i think?

V

vsbakkie

Thanks for your help guys. I am also having probs with the crank angle sensor as the car just switches off as im driving. Is there a connection?

Cheers
VS Bakkie

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
yes there is that most prob will be the prob replace it its not much i had to do mmine cause the same prob