Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting VF Calais V L77 after sitting idle for weeks

Marty 66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi all.
My VF Calais V L77 V8 is not my daily driver. Sometimes i don't start or run it for weeks on end.
When i leave it for a while, for the first second or so after starting, it clatters and sounds terrible. This is obvioulsy because all the oil has drained from the top end and i believe this is normal.
My question is though - is there a simple way to crank it over for a few seconds without it firing to get the oil flowing ?
I'm thinking something like accelerator pedal to the floor and then crank it or similar.
Don't want to be pulling fuses etc.

Thanks in advance.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
You need to stop delivery of fuel if you want to crank it without starting. You can either remove fuel line and crank
Or stop fuel and crank (fuse/relay)
I know which one is easier and less messy!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
My question is though - is there a simple way to crank it over for a few seconds without it firing to get the oil flowing ?
I'm thinking something like accelerator pedal to the floor and then crank it or similar.
No, you'll need to physically interrupt either the fuel or ignition system to crank the engine without starting. You likely won't create enough oil pressure cranking on the starter motor to pump lifters up enough to stop the clatter on initial startup.

jimmy mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline sedan
Hi all.
My VF Calais V L77 V8 is not my daily driver. Sometimes i don't start or run it for weeks on end.
When i leave it for a while, for the first second or so after starting, it clatters and sounds terrible. This is obvioulsy because all the oil has drained from the top end and i believe this is normal.

Thanks in advance.
I do the accelerator to the floor crank on my car prior to starting as I only drive mine once a month.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Researched this TPS floor crank.
In HPTuners on L77 OS it is set to enable at 85% (that's max throttle) and disable at 80%.
So it does seem like you can cut fuel by holding the accelerator down as much as possible and trying to start!

It's called 'flood clear'

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Maybe i should remote start it from inside the house. Much quieter then !

I like the way you think, or get the misses to start it then blame her.

I've been starting cars that sit around for long periods of time for most of my life, and as far as I'm concerned, getting the oil to pump up quickly can be the least of your problems, just make sure she warm before you're ready to go and drive the thing for at least an hour so as to heat soak the whole driveline.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I'd me more concerned about a "flood clear" malfunction and a cold engine that hasn't been started for a while firing up and bouncing off the rev limiter!
Yeah, that scares the **** out of me to be honest!!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the ''flood clear'' dosnt work in all LS so use it at your own risk, and i know 100% it dosnt work in mine o_O