Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stealing a VE?

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Years back when the systems started the GPS reciever was cheap but the subscription and company that gets alerts an sends you and police message was the costly bit.

Rexi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ex: Holden Calais 2007 VE 3.6L V
Years back when the systems started the GPS reciever was cheap but the subscription and company that gets alerts an sends you and police message was the costly bit.

Sorry to bump the thread, but this just happened to me about three weeks ago. I had a very good condition 2007 VE Calais. It was Silver, had those beautiful leather seats which seem to withstand wear! DVD Player - the works. Woke up in a great mood that day. Business going well, new business I started starting to pick up and just felt a pretty good vibe. So much for vibes - went outside to jump into the car to go to the Post Office... Gone...

Just gone.

Car recovered two days later. Went to go see it - it's in relatively good condition other than needing 2 new tyres, a new rim (they took the rim) and more than a few scratches on the car. Still, it was deemed a write off. In a way, I didn't really want it back after realizing some junkie grot povo got their grubby little hands on my car that I worked hard for! I treated her well. Very reliable car by the way - would recommend to ANYONE.

Waiting on Insurance company to give me an answer on the claim. I still have no idea how they took it. All I know is I lost a good deal of money on this entire thing. Lost half my purchase value (was insured for Market Value), lost $1500 on the excess & had to purchase a new car, register it, green slip and policy and transfer stamp duty.

If someone has any answers on how it is they are stealing VE Holdens, the "apparently" unstealable car (I scoff at the very mention), it would be greatly appreciated.

stuntmanmike

Car wotsit & stuff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 V6 Auto / VS BT1 5.0 / VY SV8
Not a good feeling having your car stolen. GPS tracker is a good idea where pride of the car is valued higher than an insurance cheque for market value.
I've got "Protected by Chuck Norris" stickers on the windows of my cars to help the thieving scumbags think twice (or have a chuckle and reassess their career in life).
Jokes aside: I believe that there is no car out there that cannot be ultimately stolen. A theft proof car is a fallacy. If such a secure car did exist then I reckon it would look like a Tiger Tank and would have no problem parking anywhere in shopping centres on a Thursday night.
My tip is to have at least one wrecked car on bricks in full view in the front yard to indicate to would-be thieves to steer clear of that house. Oh, and sitting on a lounge out the front near it whilst wearing trackies with a singlet in winter barefoot with a couple cans of Woodys in your hands while juggling a ciggy and smartphone is another indicator to would-be thieves casing potential targets to f**k the h3ll orf from your street.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Did you leave your keys recently with anyone for an extended period of time? Panel beater, audio shop, dodgy mechanic? Easiest way is to cut the key...

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
I'm no expert on this stuff, but it is possible to start a ve without keys.... I know a very tech savy mechanic, who has started ve's several times .!!!! So it can be done...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
If someone has any answers on how it is they are stealing VE Holdens, the "apparently" unstealable car (I scoff at the very mention), it would be greatly appreciated.

no such thing as an unstealable car....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sorry to hear you had your pride and joy stolen....Not a nice thing to happen to anyone....

Earlier in the thread, VS PETE asked the brand of GPS unit fitted to my service van....It's a TOM TOM brand....

Good luck with your decision on a new car purchase

Rexi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ex: Holden Calais 2007 VE 3.6L V
Sorry to hear you had your pride and joy stolen....Not a nice thing to happen to anyone....

Earlier in the thread, VS PETE asked the brand of GPS unit fitted to my service van....It's a TOM TOM brand....

Good luck with your decision on a new car purchase

I am a salesman by trade and I just started a company selling baby products that I'm trying to build. I reasoned that since I spent $20k on the Holden then I needed something of equal calibre. So I bought 2004 BMW 330Ci Sport with 50k's on it. It's a great car - in fact it is the only thing that has cheered me up since the whole thing happened. Spent $19k on the car - paid for it outright. I will be fitting a GPS, Alarm as well as securing the garage where it will be parked from now on.

I had savings that have now been drained that will be replenished somewhat by the Government Rebate + write-off payout. But it only occurred to me last evening that there may be issues with getting my payout. Why? Because this VE Holden is apparently the unstealable car. I know many of you scoff at the very mention of it, as do I, but try telling that to the Police. even the workshop it went to, the fellow who served me insists there MUST be another key.

Well, I have the only other key. Cops took DNA from the car and inspected it with a fine tooth comb. I'm still waiting for an update. The thieves took the car to Canberra - went through 3 speed cameras deliberately. 166 in a 100 zone, 200 in an 80 zone and the last one was like 130 in a 60 zone. They left a myriad of DRUG PARAPHERNALIA in the car including Sandwich bags, Satchel bags and a burnt out spoon. When I inspected the car at the workshop I put my sleeve over my hand when touching the stuff sorting out what was mine and what wasn't. Mind you, the car isn't burnt out or wrecked. It's just a stat write off because it needed a respray and two tyres and key fob reprogrammed. Lol, it came back looking structurally sound.

It only occurred to me last night that there might be an issue with the payout considering all the cynical responses I got from people regarding the car being stolen. Needless to say I have no motive. I'd have sold the car for about 13K I rekon, but since I had no need to sell it and it was reliable as anything there would be no reason to sell it and I should just go ahead and start my third business with the savings I accumulated instead of drawing the cash from my equity.

I ramble! But so far, talking about the situation has made me feel a lot better about it. I'm 29 years old, and when I saw the car missing from the spot it was parked in, I kinda felt like I was going to tear up, lol. Men love their cars I guess :p