Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering and other questions

Makalaza

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore Ute S1 / VX Executive Sedan S2
Hello everyone - here comes another dumb question, I have just recently replaced my control arms , ball joints, sway bar links and put new front brakes on my VR ute and it doesn't feel right. What I mean is that the front of the car feels really light, like my steering is light. I like to feel the road when I drive. What I mean again is that when I drive my VX, I can feel the control I have while driving down the road like the front is heavier, gripping the road and I feel the control I have, but with my VR I feel every bloody bump on the road and when I turn a corner, my tyres squeal a little bit ( I have checked my tyre pressure and it is perfect). It just feels a little bit unsafe. Any suggestions or am I just crapping on?
Cheers Mark

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Did you get an alignment? Won't exactly stop the bumpiness but it won't track side to side if that's also happening.

Did you do the shocks also?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Get your tirod ends checked out. I know replacing a worn out one on my bus made a huge improvement. Even more so once I had an alignment done.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Get an alignment done.....That'll give some feel back to the steering

Bumps....Replace the shocks....I have a feeling, they will be stuffed, causing it to bounce all over the road and will also give some feeling back into the handling side of things.

Makalaza

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore Ute S1 / VX Executive Sedan S2
I think your on the ball mate. I just lifted the car up and put stands under and one side hangs downs and touches the ground when the other side is up in the air. Any suggestions on strut replacements? I'm not a rich man (like everyone) so try not to be too exspensive. I could probably still use the springs. Thanks again everyone for your input.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had struts rebuilt cost me $120 (both sides) plus parts and that was remove from vehicle and refit included.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Also vx & vr are different cars with different history so can't expect them to be the the same.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute