Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering issue

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
Off the topic slightly, does anyone know where to get (cheap) after market strut mounting plates for a VP with adjustable camber?
Thanks for the help everyone :)

cheap not necessarily good. you might find yaself replacing them when they stuff up prematurely. ive seen cheap strut mounts push through the top as they seperate, get decent ones, cheaper in long run.

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
look on ebay i just put in a set of nolathane strut tops that cost me 102.50 posted to my door......they are the none adjustable ones though

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
You could do worse that contacting whiteline suspension or having a whiteline "full works" kit put in, mine cost 2500 installed and I love it. I think pedders are whiteline dealers now anyway.....I reckon the whiteline gear is top notch and the geometry is improved over stock items. The suspension dude who did my install reckoned that tyres do make a difference to steering straight and that the only consistently equal reasonably priced tyres he had seen were yokohamas and toyos. The number of passengers, weight distribution, camber on the road, brakes or wheel bearings dragging....the list just goes on and on.....all you can do is make sure your suspension is healthy and keep equal pressures in the front tyres....I like 36psi as a good compromise between grip and comfort.

justincredible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 Calais V
Aside from tyre pressure, and tyre brand, does the actual tread pattern on the tyre have anything to do with whether the car is likely to pull or have a tram-track effect? I am thinking of upgrading tyres but don't wanna replace crap with more crap. If someone could possible attach a link or something so I can see an example of a decent tyre. Thanks for the input.
PS will let you guys know how it all goes in a couple of weeks, still gotta get my licence back lol :)

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
yes tread pattern has an effect on the way a car handles in various situations and for straight line stability.

PS will let you guys know how it all goes in a couple of weeks, still gotta get my licence back lol :)
and you dont have this problem if you dont do nothing wrong.

donboy2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Directional patterns can make a huge difference if they aren't fitted properly. I don't know if that would affect your car as much but it's worth a look. Also what is your steering rack and pinion like ? Because they can flog out really bad. A good way to find out is by trying to turn the wheel left and right if it is RS you will here a dull knock.

justincredible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 Calais V
i had my steering rack changed bout 10,000km ago but i didn't do it myself so who knows if it was a crappy one that was put in as the replacement. I don't here any knocks. just as described in my first post.

justincredible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 Calais V
had coils, shocks and strut bearing plates changed today. firmer ride, however steering is still stuffed. I have been advised that is is most likely to be the bushes around the lower control arm, radius rod, upper and lower trailing arms, and sway bar. A few replacement bushes should do the trick. thanks for all the suggestions :)
(I still think the tyres make a huge difference though and are gonna get them upgraded regardless.)

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
the lower control arm bushes, sway bar link and mount bushes, and radius rod bushes are a definate possibilty, but the upper and lower trailing arms are in the rear suspension and shouldnt affect the steering at all. if you do end up getting the radius rod and lower control arm bushes done maybe consider replacing the ball joints too? good luck to ya mate