Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering noise

dandandaniel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
hey guys,

ive got a bit of a knocking noise in the front when im turning - especially to the right..the car was previously lowered (the springs werent cut - properly done). ive also just had the wheels balanced, but that didnt help. ive checked power steering fluid and seems to be fine...i dont know alot about the steering side of the car so if anyone could suggest somethings that could be the problem or a fix cos it anoys the **** out of me at the moment...

cheers, dan

dandandaniel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
sorry, forgot to mention its a vr exec

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
sounds like maybe anoise from the steering rack. does it seem harder to turn? it is quiet common for the power steering pumps to fail over time. what does the power steering fluid look like? i note now that you can by poewr steering fluid coolers (daviescraig) to remove excess heat to protect the pump & seals etc.

dandandaniel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
it seems a little harder to turn, but i try to back off whenever i can...its not a loud noise, but if your the driver you can here it and feel the knocks in the steering...ive just been outside looking at the fluid levels, cant see bubbles but theres an 'x' on the stem underneath the cap....the fluid is a few mm above that 'x'...

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Sounds like you've got some bushes that need replacing.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Sounds like you've got some bushes that need replacing.

^:thumbsup: thats what id say, sway bar link pin bushes most likely. a lowed car puts alot of force on these particular bushes when turning, and these things break enough at stock height.
i got through them like no ones business, my mechanic was joking with me the other day saying i should buy them in bulk (and im using the damn heavy duty ones too!).

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yep, it could be, i've fitted nolathane sway bar bushes to both my cars and haven't had any problems since.

revhead1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v8
mines doin exactly the same thing u almost lock it to the right and u hear a clunk and can feel it slightly through the wheel checked all the bushes n dont think its them

The Darkness

Junk Yard Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VT V6 A4
oh great. now that ive read this and thought about it i think mine does this too.:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: