Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering rack boots

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Heat shields on the Tie Rod ends, why.

Attachments

• VX Commodore, Steering Rack 1.jpg
    VX Commodore, Steering Rack 1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,331

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
So the heat from the exhaust manifold doesn’t melt through the rack boots cause they’re rubber...

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Um ceh?

Each to their own but never ever heard of power steering boots melting. Ever.

Too far away from engine and also the whole fact they are exposed to the air would cool em down

They have already been engineered by a team to work properly

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
Well not necessarily melt but get hot from the exhaust manifold and eventually there’s a hole in them, why would difillipo sell heat shields for steering rack boots then when you purchase extractors? Might be because some after market extractors sit closer to the steering boots than factory ones...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I can assure you that steering rack boots can certainly melt if they are too close to a set of extractors. Had this happen to my VX GTS - H.M. Stainless Steel Headers. You can purchase the heat shield material and make up your own shields - refer link below. I just cut the material to the right shape (you only have to cover the top of the rack boot) and fastened them to the metal part of the rack with stainless steel cable ties.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Platinum-Heatshield-Material-HS1S-700-x-290mm/121225

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well not necessarily melt but get hot from the exhaust manifold and eventually there’s a hole in them, why would difillipo sell heat shields for steering rack boots then when you purchase extractors? Might be because some after market extractors sit closer to the steering boots than factory ones...

Im intrigued.

If you ever do a writeup, let me know.

Suppose in burnout cars and with aftermarket extractors that can sit closer to the boots which can heat up the boots as well as power steering fluids causing issues down the track as well

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
Cheers for the link, will certainly look into that, I changed my steering boots today and with the car sitting level on the ground the drivers side rubber boot is almost touching the extractor, but not on the passenger side, so yes it is possible, might have to invest in exhaust wrap as well

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
And seeing as we’re in the subject of steering/leaks, anyone know why power steering fluid would be leaking out the top of the reservoir (obviously while engine is running) mine doesn’t have air in the system because it’s not foaming and it’s not over full. Is there meant to be an “O” ring on the cap so it seals properly? Have never been able to figure it out yet

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
To resurrect an old thread...If I undo the nut next to the ball joint
(marking the position of the tie rod)will the rod slip out and I just slip the boot over and reassemble?

It's ok...pretty sure I'll need to remove ball joint.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
To resurrect an old thread...If I undo the nut next to the ball joint
(marking the position of the tie rod)will the rod slip out and I just slip the boot over and reassemble?

It's ok...pretty sure I'll need to remove ball joint.
Hmmm, I think I did something like this about 35 years ago, so yes I don't see why not BUT, the wheels will need to be off the ground so they can move far enough to allow the tie rod to undo easy.
And in all honesty you should do a wheel align unless of course the tyres are krap and won't last much longer.