Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering rack problem

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
My VR steering rack rear pipe broke while removing engine, The pipe that looks to be pressed in at both ends and runs from one end of rack to the other, can it be replaced.
pipe circled in pic. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Steering Rack.jpg
    Steering Rack.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 152

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That's only a pressure equalization passage. It's not really needed just tap the holes and put bolts in.

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
ok thanks, will give it ago.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
That's only a pressure equalization passage. It's not really needed just tap the holes and put bolts in.
Wow, that sounds a bit hairy! You'd need to ensure none of the resulting sworfs ended up in the rack. And if that pipe doesn't really do anything why has GM bothered to put it there? Not trying to start a bunfight, just my natural curiosity.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Vehicle manufacturers rule #1
If a component doesn’t serve a purpose, don’t include it in the build.

Vehicle manufacturers rule #2
If a component can be made to break a week after warranty expires, do so.

Vehicle manufacturers rule #3
The customer is always wrong.

On a more serious note, if that pipe is equalising hydraulic pressure, wouldn’t it mean being unable to do so will likely cause some issue... like a blown seal (either internal or external)?

Last edited:

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
yeah I though about sworf and was planning on stripping and cleaning out, also will tap it to take another pipe fitting at both ends and make a pipe, once out of car and apart will know more about what I'm dealing with, I was hoping someone would say where I can buy a replacement pipe to press it. Thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just grab one from a wreck.

wayne0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.7 series III 6sp
Read this on another post on here can anyone confirm this is correct please.
" VN/VP have a splined input shaft which is a bastard to line up.... the VR onwards ones have a rectangle input shaft and are a piece of **** to line up "

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I can't confirm the above but there are differences so transfers appear to be limited. I scored a good rack from a VN. Don't know whether it was S1 or S2. Found it wouldn't fit my S2 VP. I think because the input shaft was different. Quite a few years ago so I don't remember the precise details but I remember contemplating changing the steering column so I could fit it but in the end I bought a reco'd rack from Repco. I still have that VN rack lying around so could take a snap of it if useful.