Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering rack problem

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Not much has changed I see, u two keep having a pissing contest almost on everything. People are sick and tired seeing this crap, how about sticking at the question at hand, that's helping the ? asked, know wounder this site can't hold members to many know it all's that don't know 1+1=..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This virtual hangout would be much nicer if technical references can be provided so forum members can actually learn something rather than just read insults flying about between members when a technical disagreement between views occurs :rolleyes:

Interestingly, this page shows a steering rack with pipework connecting both bellows, so it’s obvious in this case they equalise the air pressure between left & right side bellows when turning.

But the VR rack doesn’t seem to connect both bellows in the same way unless there is some internal piping within the rack we can’t see. But such internal piping would seems like a very odd way to engineer it. So does anyone have an exploded view of the VR rack showing the pipe in question they can share? I’m curious as to the technical side of this, not who’s got better mechanic knowledge or experience. It would solve who’s correct about the function of the pipe.

Considering years ago, a prolific contributor to wiki turned out to not be the professor he claimed to be but was simply a kid posting from home, I’d rather people provide technical references to back up their knowledge and experience ;) That way we all learn :D

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
This virtual hangout would be much nicer if technical references can be provided so forum members can actually learn something rather than just read insults flying about between members when a technical disagreement between views occurs :rolleyes:

Interestingly, this page shows a steering rack with pipework connecting both bellows, so it’s obvious in this case they equalise the air pressure between left & right side bellows when turning.

But the VR rack doesn’t seem to connect both bellows in the same way unless there is some internal piping within the rack we can’t see. But such internal piping would seems like a very odd way to engineer it. So does anyone have an exploded view of the VR rack showing the pipe in question they can share? I’m curious as to the technical side of this, not who’s got better mechanic knowledge or experience. It would solve who’s correct about the function of the pipe.

Considering years ago, a prolific contributor to wiki turned out to not be the professor he claimed to be but was simply a kid posting from home, I’d rather people provide technical references to back up their knowledge and experience ;) That way we all learn :D

To me, it's more a common sense approach, which doesn't seem to exist much these days.

One doesn't have to be qualified with anything...A look at a picture of the internals, along with what has been suggested to be done, add in a little common sense, one would realise what the end result would be with particular suggestions.

The function of the pipe doesn't seem to be an issue...The issue seems to be the method of repair...And if being concerned for peoples life is classed as penis size comparison, or anything along those lines, it does make you wonder what is the point of forwarning people of dangers that can occur as a result of some repair methods.

Anyways, I found an exploded view of a Commodore rack, so people can make their own mind up as to how they might approach a repair if that is the chosen method to fix the issue

1600761421792.png

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
It's a bit hard to make out all the details with the photobucket thingo all over it but I guess it's the transfer pipe which is the pipe in question in this post?
Why GM didn't have it fitted with screw in flare fittings in the first place instead of just a press fit is something I'd like to be able to address to someone in authority....please.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... Why GM didn't have it fitted with screw in flare fittings in the first place instead of just a press fit is something I'd like to be able to address to someone in authority....please.
From the authority of my armchair, i can say with conviction it's beacuse motor manufacturers are a cheap lot saving pennies at a time :p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might be mistaken but I thought mine had flare nuts and pipes, unless that is something else? I remember them being loose and leaking a fair bit, so we tightened them.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I might be mistaken but I thought mine had flare nuts and pipes, unless that is something else? I remember them being loose and leaking a fair bit, so we tightened them.

That would be the hydraulic liquid lines for the power steering. The pipe mentioned by the OP is a air transfer pipe mine is broken on my VS and has been for years.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The discussion was around what the purpose of the press fit "transfer pipe" was and how to replace it (or not).

I'm always curious as i haven't pulled appart a VR rack so loaded the VR workshop manual in a XP virtual machine just to have a look at what this pipe actually transferes. Typically in manual uncertainty, the manual itself is moot on that point and the diagrams aren't super clear either.

However, it does seem like the transfer pipe could indeed transfer air from the tie rod bellows when the rack is tuned. That seems to be the conclusion from looking at the rack piston slide area which is between the triangular bosses where the power steering feed pipes screw in. The transfer pipe seems outside this piston slide area so the conclusion that it allows air to move between bellows seems sound. Really the manual should been clearer on this.

@shane_3800 seemed correct in what the transfere pipe does ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll have to have a look at mine next time I can get the ute over the pit. I don't remember seeing an extra pipe.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I tried to upload a clearer image but the image is too large for the forum.

That being said, all it takes is to type in exploded view of a commodore rack in google images and a few images come up...

From that people can use their own common sense as to whether they would just tap it, or whether they would strip the internals before going that route, if they choose to repair it that way...