Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Rack Replacement

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi Guys.

Need to install a replacement steering rack on my V6 Wagon. Inner Tie rods are worn and the rack is also leaking.

From what i can tell its as follows.

Raise Car, Remove wheels.
Remove the spilt pins, remove the tie rod nuts, Bash out the tie rod ends. (I too will replace these)
Undo the hi and low pressure lines (understand these can be tricky to undo, I also have pipe spanners)
Undo the bolt holding the uni joint to the steering rack shaft then slide it up.
Undo the 2 mounting bolts and pull out the rack.

Install in reverse, is the best option to ensure the wheels are straight and steering wheel is straight before re-attacthing the uni joint to the rack shaft for close alignment ? looks like the rack has a flat side of the shaft so guessing it lines up pretty well.

and obviously refill and bleed the system, then a wheel alignment.

Any other tips or tricks people know about i may run into ?

Cheers.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
just did all this myself and sounds like you know exactly what to expect, it sounds like my experience.

I dont think any fancy spanners will fit on the connections anyway, anything that can fit will do the job its a very tight fit. They are o-ring fittings and shouldn't be retard tight anyway. Ensure the new o-rings that come with the rack are used too. I didnt replace them as they were lost in transit, fortunately it didnt and still doesnt leak so I don't care.

Make sure steering wheel does not end up spinning freely, ensure steering wheel and clock spring are centralised to the rack, if you over extend the clock spring in either direction you will destroy it. Do not remove the steering wheel without disconnecting the battery first. (airbag safety precautions apply)

Factory racks are supposed to be assembled in a particular way that has the flat section of the steering shaft in a particular area, forget about that on the aftermarket ones, you will be removing the wheel to get it centralised. It's actually very easy and no need to stress like I did when I discovered this.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Thanks mate. Already planned to tie the steering wheel in place with some rope or something to avoid it spinning around freely.

woodyotoad

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
just run the drivers seat belt through the bottom hole in the steering wheel then buckle it, it wont move after that :)