Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering rack

Beau Abbott

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive commodore
Hey guys just wondering if a 91 series 2 vn steering rack would go into a 91 vp commo?

As my whole steering in my vp is cactus

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vp supposedly first model to get slotted shaft on p/steer rack & column where intermediate goes.

If vn rack is splined it won't work,if slotted go for it.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I think both responses above are correct, unfortunately for the OP. I've got a workable VN (S1) rack sitting in the shed having pulled it out of a wreck some years ago only to find it wouldn't connect to the intermediate shaft on my (S2) VP. Worth checking the connection though as gtrboyy said.
A thought: can you swap over the intermediate as well and make it work? It was years ago I was looking at mine and I ended up with a reco unit from Repco which is still hanging in there. NSW rego check due in a few weeks though so fingers crossed.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Vn - vq wont fit vp.
Some vp's still have the vl/vn round spline and others have the vr/vs c slot spline.
From memory those vehicles where the series one. I was lucky to find one when I did a v8 kframe conversion into the early car. I found a cheap vl intermeddiate shaft that fitted the original column spline as the vp one was too short but I couldn't find the matching vl power steering rack steering.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Hey guys just wondering if a 91 series 2 vn steering rack would go into a 91 vp commo?

As my whole steering in my vp is cactus
If you have the vp series one round spline steering rack, YES the vn round spline is the same steering rack.

If you have the later vp series 2 car then NO the vn 1 wont fit as your rack has the square c slot shaft.

They used 2 different rack splines in the vp model.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I think both responses above are correct, unfortunately for the OP. I've got a workable VN (S1) rack sitting in the shed having pulled it out of a wreck some years ago only to find it wouldn't connect to the intermediate shaft on my (S2) VP. Worth checking the connection though as gtrboyy said.
A thought: can you swap over the intermediate as well and make it work? It was years ago I was looking at mine and I ended up with a reco unit from Repco which is still hanging in there. NSW rego check due in a few weeks though so fingers crossed.
correct the change happened on the VP series 2, the VP series 1 had passed down the same as the VN model