Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel 180degrees out after rack out/in

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
we took the rack out last night, tied wheel to centre and put rack back in, but know steering wheel is 180degrees out. (wheel is upside down when rotors are centered)
Now i know its just a case of undo rack to steering shaft and turn 180 but i know the clock spring can cause issues, and i am not sure whether i turn wheel 180 left or right then rebolt.
Can 180 out on the clock spring cause and issue if i go the wrong way?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You need a wheel alignment. Change of rack inherently means you've changed the alignment when you undid the tie rods.

D

devilly

sounds like you have to unbolt the rack,put the steering wheel in straight ahead position and make sure rack is even in length via turning it by hand then put rack back in,then with the racks mounting brackets you have to center it so the power steering will return by itself.

first part that you put together is the steering column to rack so it doesn't move out of alignment.hope this helps you

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Line the shaft up with the splines properly. I'd rather lower the rack and do it that way than pull the steering wheel off - not sure if there would be problems with just moving the steering wheel though, I'd assume not.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Thanks for the the reply guys.
i ended up taking the wheel off to check the position of the clock spring. was 180 off to left.
so i restraightened the clock spring until i was 2.5 turns anti clockwise from the righthand lock position. rebolted steering wheel and airbag back up. all is good now.
Just didnt want to run the risk of damaging the clock spring as i wasnt sure which way (right or left) i was from steering wheel at dead center, and as theres only a tolerance of 2.5 rotations on the clock spring, if i was off by 180 clockwise and i turned the wheel another 180 clockwise to get the wheel centre i would have smashed the clock spring after a 540 degree turn to the right.
Thanks for the help though guys.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Thanks for the the reply guys.
i ended up taking the wheel off to check the position of the clock spring. was 180 off to left.
so i restraightened the clock spring until i was 2.5 turns anti clockwise from the righthand lock position. rebolted steering wheel and airbag back up. all is good now.
Just didnt want to run the risk of damaging the clock spring as i wasnt sure which way (right or left) i was from steering wheel at dead center, and as theres only a tolerance of 2.5 rotations on the clock spring, if i was off by 180 clockwise and i turned the wheel another 180 clockwise to get the wheel centre i would have smashed the clock spring after a 540 degree turn to the right.
Thanks for the help though guys.