Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel Aerpro adaptor harness question.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
There is a little connector coming off the CHVTVXA where does this actually plug in to?

a little 4 pin plug thats about 2 inch from the black box? ignore that, its for programming i believe.

you do need the adapter that plugs into the socket on other side of the black box though(if you dont have it)

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
a little 4 pin plug thats about 2 inch from the black box? ignore that, its for programming i believe.

you do need the adapter that plugs into the socket on other side of the black box though(if you dont have it)

Yep, I called the distributor here is NZ and he pretty much said it was not applicable to my application.

Threw it all together, went out at lunch time and installed the Alpine W235EBT, it fired up and immediately worked with the steering wheel controls.

I have never used adaptor harnesses, but I don't think I will ever install a stereo without one again! Just need to figure out where to put all the access wire from 2 adaptors and the steering wheel remote!

Oh and fit the facia kit, a little annoyed that I have to take the dash apart to fit that, but what are you going to do!

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
BTW I didn't bother to earth the purple as it was clear there was an earth in the loom already.

If I feel the need I can always earth another time.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
OK, and just because this is one of the first things that comes up when you type CHVTVXA into google here's what you need.

For the steering wheel adaptor - CHVTVXA x 1 (this also contains the Holden to ISO harness adaptor)
For the headunit adaptor (Alpine) APALPA x 1 (other brands will have a different last letter)
For headunit to Holden (Alpine) APP8ALPL x 1 (if you have a 05+ unit could also be APP8ALPH)

These are all you'll need for plug and play.

Just be careful on a couple of things, You don't want a CHLVTVXA unless you have a Calais, Grange, Caprice, etc. (Luxury model)

Alpine in particular has 3 different loom adaptors, check if you have round or square pins.

This is a very easy job, to remove my headunit I stuffed 4 nails in the 4 holes, no need for a fancy tool, just pull by the tape part.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
Hello congrats on nutting that one out! Reckon you could tell me what I'm doing wrong with my application?
I have a chlvtvxa module box thing.
The headunit is a kenwood ddx6039.
My car is a WH grange.
I've tried the purple to black/yellow and white to brown. I've removed the steering wheel shroud and observed the wires leaving the clock spring: black/yellow x2, black/green and brown with silver dot marking. I have spliced into them all (at the radio position) and still nothing..

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
sorry mine was purely plug and play, as in the adaptor that came as part of the unit clipped in to the factory loom and I got an ISO to Headunit adaptor

The only wire I can see that would likely be used for the remote is the white one, the other 2 seem to be power and earth for the unit.

I could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me.

Did you remove the factory connector when you installed your Kenwood unit? If so you might need to look for a white wire in the left over

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Hello congrats on nutting that one out! Reckon you could tell me what I'm doing wrong with my application?
I have a chlvtvxa module box thing.
The headunit is a kenwood ddx6039.
My car is a WH grange.
I've tried the purple to black/yellow and white to brown. I've removed the steering wheel shroud and observed the wires leaving the clock spring: black/yellow x2, black/green and brown with silver dot marking. I have spliced into them all (at the radio position) and still nothing..

Have you installed the patch lead from the HU to the control harness ?

matt657

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
Hi i have recently purchased the following head unit pioneer FH-X775BT, for my vy series 1. I have also have the aerpro harness's with the steering wheel control harness and parch lead. I noticed the problem with the red and yellow wires and fixed it up.Everything is working fine other than my steering wheel controls. I follow the procedure through the head unit and when i am asked to press the volume button on my steering wheel it seems to go unrecognized. can anybody help me out as to why i am having this problem?

Grega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 Berlina, VX1 Berlina, VX2 Berlina
so i had a go at this today in my wifes VX2 Berlina.
per guidance, got the CHVTVXA adapter and the steering wheel harness and ISO adapter for the Pioneer unit I am putting in
the unit works fine no issues, however, no power aerial or steering wheel controls.
noticed on the CHVTVXA adapter though, there are 4 pins missing down the bottom of it. On the VX2 loom, these 4 pins are filled
Heres a photo for peoples interest
20150403_102309_zps1in2pqgh.jpg

Have sent a msg to Aerpro hopefully they can assist. Wondering if I need the CHLVTVXA for the Series 2 Berlina?

Grega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 Berlina, VX1 Berlina, VX2 Berlina
So 1 year and 2 days later. This now works. Who'd have thought.
The problem --> I had been supplied an APPISOA harness which goes between the adaptor and the Pioneer radio
It turns out that I needed APPIOA instead.
The difference between these two cables is the APPISOA has a set of resistors in it whereas APPIOA does not.
On the Pioneer unit, if you switch the unit on, go into settings --> Steering Wheel Controls is greyed out. You have to turn the unit OFF, and, Press the Yellow STAR, then, select the cogs on the left (which are settings) and then the Steering Wheel Controls will be available to scan & setup. The option you select is 'with module'.
I hope this helps someone in their Saga. A big shout out to Jims Car Audio who made this happen.