Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel and car shaking when over 100 km/h

evotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
not yet

Last edited:

sirjolly18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 holden VZ v6 ute.
Undo your front wheel nuts with the nuts loose you will be able to lift your wheels up and down, commodore rims from factory are centred on the spigot of the hub( hubcentric), (this is evident by the fact that if you don't lube the spigot the wheels eventually seize on to the hub)
If the wheels dont have locators (also called hub rings or hubcentric rings) to ensure they are tight on the hub they will be slightly off centre and cause the exact problems you described.
Read about it here .... How Hub Centric Rings Work - JustForWheels.com

Thanks. i have taken all the wheels of recently to paint the calipers and disks. The hub plastic spigot things are still there but since moving i could have UN-centred them? this being the case i might just need to get new ones?

evotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
not yet

Last edited:

Antsmash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Black
I had this same problem. My rims didn't have any center locating rings. The wheel was quite loose on the hub when it wasn't tightened. My tire guy was pretty sure this was my problem. They're currently on order :)

sirjolly18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 holden VZ v6 ute.
I checked all my wheels yesterday and they all had the hub centre things. they fit the hub nice and tight but in the wheels thmesleves are a little loose. going down to bob jane and getting some new ones. if that does nto solve the problem i will rotate the rear with the front to determine if the wheel/rubber is the fault.

Also tugging on the right front wheel left and right it has a small clucking noise like something is not tight. it did it jacked up of the ground and when it was on the ground. but on the other wheel no noise at all. dads vz wagon has no noise from either wheel. It could be whats putting something out just that mill or two.