Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel centre/airbag.

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Ok so got 2009 SSV ute. The previous owner must have been picking at the steering wheel centre or something but it's munted! I've bought a new airbag centre. I wanna change it this weekend but scared that I'll get an airbag warning if I try it. Does anyone know a fail safe way to swap these out without an issue?

Cheers.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
just disconnect the battery before you change the wheel, that's all I do.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Just remove the airbag and horn fuses, this way you avoid loosing your long term fuel trims.

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Cheers guys, I'll be on it tomorrow. Will report on outcome.

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE

Rogue Trooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SII SV6
You don't need to turn the car on to turn the steering wheel. With the battery disconnected you only need to have the key in the ignition and turned to disengage the steering wheel lock. You need a bit of effort but it's not a problem. I'm swapping out my steering wheel as I type. Just waiting for any residual power in the circuit to dissipate before I get stuck in as I've just disconnected the battery.

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
You don't need to turn the car on to turn the steering wheel. With the battery disconnected you only need to have the key in the ignition and turned to disengage the steering wheel lock. You need a bit of effort but it's not a problem. I'm swapping out my steering wheel as I type. Just waiting for any residual power in the circuit to dissipate before I get stuck in as I've just disconnected the battery.

Makes sense, will I use the radio code by disconnecting the battery?

Rogue Trooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SII SV6
Not sure what you mean by 'radio code'. Mine lost date and time but all my presets for the radio stations and bass/treble etc were retained. Just powered everything up and all is well.

Just as an aside, reading 2 different sets of instructions pointed me to different airbag fuses. One in the compartment under the glove box and the other in the engine bay so after I disconnected the battery and waited a couple of minutes I just pulled both to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Does the radio not have a security code when battery is disconnected