Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel control hook up on Vz to kenwood stereo

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
About to replace the stereo on my Vz and have done some research on how to wire the steering wheel controls to the new unit . Some say you only have to hook up 2 new wires from the new unit to the old wiring and others say you need the conversion unit .. can anyone tell which will work . New unit has a dedicated small audio style plug that plugs into new kenwood unit with 3 wires tails from it marked 1 2 and return ...the short loom comes in the box with the new stereo

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
do I have to use the adapter for the steering wheel controls to work as ive seen on one video a guy using just a 2 wire cable hook up from headunit to wiring plug for a kenwood unit install?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
That depends if the unit has the steering wheel control built in, I have a after market unit with steering wheel control that use 2 wires, I never had steering controls so I had to fit them. What's the model of the unit.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I have found that the head unit I bought has the adapter for the steering wheel controls on board so I don’t need the extra part which is good news .......so I only need the power/speaker wiring adapter and facia kit ...and work out a clean way to join the 2 steering wheel control wires to the cars wiring /connector

Brayden3223

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Lumina
Hey guys, I’m in the same situation, I’ve got the KENWOOD ddx4018bt unit. In settings it has the swc setup and a 3.5mm aux input for the controls built into it. I was wondering if I still need the aerpro steering wheel harness or if I can wire it in directly. On the wires it has ground(which is obvious) and then input 1 and input 2. Any help would be great!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Mine is a ddx4019bt and i have been told it has it on board swc adapter and mine has that 3.5 plug with 3 wires too...ill be putting it in this week so Ill let you know

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Your correct, the unit has 2 remote input lines and the earth to the remote, Brown is input 1 and ground is black/yellow, On your original plug from front on view there are 3 separate plugs the top one should be the extra add on plug like telephone and steering remote, on the bottom row of that plug count 4 from the right or left that's your line 1 input ( connect to that ) , now the middle of that same plug count 3 from the right that's your rem GRD ( Hook to that ) remember looking from the front of the plug not the back. Also you will need to be in park with your handbrake on to access the learning setting. Good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    265.3 KB · Views: 758
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    300.8 KB · Views: 502

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hey guys, I’m in the same situation, I’ve got the KENWOOD ddx4018bt unit. In settings it has the swc setup and a 3.5mm aux input for the controls built into it. I was wondering if I still need the aerpro steering wheel harness or if I can wire it in directly. On the wires it has ground(which is obvious) and then input 1 and input 2. Any help would be great!
Same deal..