Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel Groaning

deanom

Reaction score
I had a groaning noise when I turned the wheel and at the last service the mechanic said it was the seal at the top of the power steering box. He leaned under from the right side and sprayed lanolin(not wd40) into the top of the power steering pinion shaft and no more groaning.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
guys just on this, ( dont mean to be rude by interupting) my wagon is doing the same thing. im not sure why but i put in new front springs the other day and now when ever i move the wheel it makes like a knocking noise.

Strut Bearings I would say...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
When i bought my car a few weeks ago i didnt hear this noise until a few days later, now almost every time i turn a corner (both ways) it groans.

My bf reakons is a normal thing for older cars but because it wasnt happening and then all of a sudden it came up im hoping its fixable.

Any ideas?

Also is it normal for the steering wheel to shake quite a bit when braking at high speeds going down hills?

The noise sounds like the coupling in the steering column as DannyboyDS has said. The steering wheel wobble will be the brake rotors. Put new ones on, machining them will be a temporary measure, they will warp again very soon.

Which state are you in?

guys just on this, ( dont mean to be rude by interupting) my wagon is doing the same thing. im not sure why but i put in new front springs the other day and now when ever i move the wheel it makes like a knocking noise.

Quite often with lowered springs the top or bottom couple of coils touch, this can make a similar noise. Get some Spirap and put around the coils that are touching. Either that or it is in the strut bearings as already mentioned.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I have been told the groaning is just some slop in the valves etc in the steering system. Mine does it to.

As for shaking it sounds like it is your discs. Get them machined or replaced

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If the groaning is coming from the pump, the vanes are shot. Overhaul the pump and it should be fine.

melissanjosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I finally found my thread!!!

The steering fluid is fine, ill pass on the info you guys have provided

Thanks for your input! :)

Will update for those interested ;)

melissanjosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The noise sounds like the coupling in the steering column as DannyboyDS has said. The steering wheel wobble will be the brake rotors. Put new ones on, machining them will be a temporary measure, they will warp again very soon.

Which state are you in?

Quite often with lowered springs the top or bottom couple of coils touch, this can make a similar noise. Get some Spirap and put around the coils that are touching. Either that or it is in the strut bearings as already mentioned.

Im in SA, ..........