Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel Locked and key won't turn

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Hi All,

My ignition key won't turn and I when I turned my steering wheel its gone into the locked position and I can't turn it. Its stuck. Has anyone had this issue as I can't start or drive the car. I've searched the forum for similar scenarios with some videos. Would disconnecting the battery do anything to reset?

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Pretty common on these barrels assuming it's the usual. You can keep trying and maybe with a lot of wiggle jiggle it'll come good but it will just lock up again. The little bastard I've circled is the issue and it's difficult to explain how to bypass it, you probably need a locksmith and a new barrel assuming it's not something else

images (9)_1.jpeg

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Thanks @Pullushon. Unfortunate news. Are these expensive to fix?

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
I just managed to free the steering wheel up and get the ignition to turn. It still feels a bit stuck so I assume its fragile. Anyways to prevent this from getting worse like WD-40 or other types products.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
From memory a barrel is about $100ish. Recode is easy enough just copy the old wafers numbering and position. The expensive bit is the locksmith which is why I paid close attention the last time I called one

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I just managed to free the steering wheel up and get the ignition to turn. It still feels a bit stuck so I assume its fragile. Anyways to prevent this from getting worse like WD-40 or other types products.
Chances are it will do it again and soon once you pull the key out. Lubricants won't help, it's caused by wear on a bad design, might actually make it worse

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
From memory a barrel is about $100ish. Recode is easy enough just copy the old wafers numbering and position. The expensive bit is the locksmith which is why I paid close attention the last time I called one
What is the old wafers and number position? How much did the locksmith charge as guide?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
It may be worn to the point of no return, but try graphite powder in your lock.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
What is the old wafers and number position? How much did the locksmith charge as guide?
It was way before these strange times, 6 or 7 years ago maybe. Weekend job, was about $350 including a new barrel. Wafers are the gold bits (spring-loaded) in the picture that slip into the key groove. Different numbers are different lengths and sit in the appropriate position to the key groove to turn the tumbler