Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel out of whack

yeah.yeah

Reaction score
I had a wheel alignment done on my series 1 vx the other day and now the steering wheel sits slightly to the left. Took it back they dicked around with it for half an hour but it stayed the same.They said it might be the new tyres not moulded to the road yet and to give it a week. Has anyone else had this trouble or heard of the tyre thing before?

Jase_81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 LPG
Depending on the road surface, most times your steering wheel will be a little off centre as you are counter steering to make up for the camber of the road. But if you are on a straight road with no camber and you let go of the steering and the car pulls to one side then it is either your alignment or tyres.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Had the same problem a few weeks ago when i got my front end done at Bob Janes .When i got my rear camber adjusted the following week at another alignment place they re-aligned my steering wheel . They just centralized the steering wheel and then put this clamp thingy from the steering wheel to the brake pedal to stop it from moving , then adjusted the tie rods to suit

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Had the same problem a few weeks ago when i got my front end done at Bob Janes .When i got my rear camber adjusted the following week at another alignment place they re-aligned my steering wheel . They just centralized the steering wheel and then put this clamp thingy from the steering wheel to the brake pedal to stop it from moving , then adjusted the tie rods to suit

That is the correct way to do it. If the wheel is off centre after an alignment it is not done correctly.

sharpvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt11 s pac
yes had the same problem after a wheel alignment, had to take it back , now ok as said before if it's off centre, it wasn't done right

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
most liklely there machine needs recalibrating or the wheel aligner is an idiot and he doesn't know what hes doing :)

shumway

Son of satan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 6/71 blown and injected 355 V6
as maniac said,but with there explination ,it sounds more like the aligner was an idiot,i used to hate redoing other ppls alignments cause they couldnt be bothered to spend the time to get it right the first time.:bang:

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
I could be alot of reasons why, like new tyres may have radial pull,if you got something bent, suspension/steering rack is worn that needs replacing. I can read all the specs to know what the car is doing before I even drive it.

If I know it wont drive straight because theres no adjustments I simply write it down on the report and give the customer half price of the wheel alignment.