Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel =) upgrade!!

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
alright!!
well once again i have no money! and wanna upgrade something!!
so i have desided that im going to change my steering wheel!
i found some leather and also some old calais fabric the same burgendy colour as my interior!! =)
so im looking for a VY executive steering wheel.. i dunno if this is an easy conversion or like if this is done often.. but my folks will chip in coz i told the old girl "HOW DANGEROUS IT IS FOR ME TO BE LOOKING AT CD PLAYER AND CHANING TUNES ALL THE TIME" so it is much much much safer to have the buttons on the steering wheel...

which brings me to my quesiton... how will i hook these buttons up exactly? i know everything is possible but sometimes they take a $$@$#@ lot of work!!
and i have much time to work so yes..... how do i do it??

would i have to get some sort of computer for it aswell?? or just get a stock head unit out of like a vy?

anyway... might not be the correct post for this i will put one in audio too...

but i was curious if anybody has done anything like this to a vl??
(i know "momo" steering wheels and stuff are ment to be the best.. but i say keep it commo if its a commo) =)

F

fatboyvncalaisv8

to hook them up to an aftermarket stereo, or a different model is extremely hard.
there are one or two companies that make convertors, but only for the latest model cd players, Pioneer was one of them i think.

is it really worth it?
you would be better off getting a sports steering wheel and a plug in stalk like the pioneer or sony ones. You just mount them on the steering column.

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
aghhh....

well from what i have been told and stuff its not actully worth it!! and yeah but i reallly was looking forward to doing this!

any idea on what the things are that i would need to make it possible to do what i want though???
thanks a ton for actully replying!! lol... nobody else did =( must be a pretty dumb question!!

aghh.... welll.... what if i had a vy right and i wanted to put a sony head unit in there??

would it be possible to still use the controls some how??

like umm.. what im trying to get at

is there a small type of computer that is built into the actully car of a vy to make it possible for the controls on the steering wheel to be used??

or is the computer in the headunit??

cause if i were to get a new steering wheel it would be from a wreckers so most the parts would be there.. if you gets my drift!!

(im stubbon as all hell i know its a dumb idea and involves alot of work but im keen on it!! and something different!!)

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
you wont pass rego with a VY wheel. If the wheel has an airbag then it MUST be connected. I think its a defectable offence aswell.
seeing that the VL has no airbags, thats a problem.
In not saying dont do it but be careful.
I know with some companies you can get a second head unit face that acts like a remote on a cord. they are used in boats so you can have you HU under the deck but have a changer up top.
you could somehow incorperate that

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
thanks mate! oooh... the air bag thing is a total ITCH!!
i havent really considered everything.... =(
my work is becoming much harder!! *Sniff sniff*

i shall still see what i can do though!!!
thanx a ton!